3 phase in a home shop

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was cool at first but working with "Big Red" armored cable day in and day out gets old lol. Here we have a good mixture of power distribution and control work.
I've never worked on anything bigger than 480.I can imagine the bigger cable gets really heavy.I like bigger power better than control wiring.Especially when trouble shooting.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never worked on anything bigger than 480.I can imagine the bigger cable gets really heavy.I like bigger power better than control wiring.Especially when trouble shooting.

Big red is 3 750 mcm and a 350 wrapped in armor. Like really big Mc cable

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 monthes ago we changed 2 138000 volt cts on a customer service i hate being near the meter when on your hair stands up on your neck and arms and where are 25 ft away

[emoji33]
138,000volts?
Or do you mean 13,800?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Conductor size can be smaller with the higher voltages. It’s the insulation that needs to be bigger.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We dont work on the cts hot but they where needed changed for monthes just had to get outage to change them out
We work on meters hot

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Conductor size can be smaller with the higher voltages. It’s the insulation that needs to be bigger.

Biggest cables I pull now are 4s and millions of 14s lol.I never knew they made so many different colors of red.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
2 monthes ago we changed 2 138000 volt cts on a customer service i hate being near the meter when on your hair stands up on your neck and arms and where are 25 ft away
Do you mean 13.8kv? I think you have one too many zeros.

Nvm, answer is on next page.

I'm mechanical not electrical, but I have seen some large motors thst take 13.8kv. Worked on one that had a failed thrust bearing from the cooler pumping water into the oil. That was interesting. Pumped it's oil, water then babbit into the windings. We put new bearing in it and it ran fine.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No it was a industrial cust 138,000 volt line it was in a sub station
The place freaks me out when it energized the buzzing and your stands up on your arm and neck

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No it was a industrial cust 138,000 volt line it was in a sub station
The place freaks me out when it energized the buzzing and your stands up on your arm and neck
I've seen the knifes close and open on 345kv lines. You don't want to be near them when it happens. I walk under 345kv every day.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I want to put in my two cents worth. I work in large paper mill we have all voltage mentioned above. 138000v from power co they reduce it to 13,800v where we take over. We even have some 25 hertz power too. 6,600v to 120v.
Most motor loads are 480 3 phase. We also use dc voltage for paper machines speed control. Now In the last few years we use a lot of VFD Drives for AC motor speed control. VFD—variable frequency drive.
Now how this applies to op question. You now can purchase a VFD and supply 240v single phase and output 240v three phase if motor load is not to great. Another option instead of replacing motor.
Power company sells power by the amount of watts consumed. Single phase motors draw more amps per phase but only two phases so not as much savings as you think. Yes I think three phase motors are more efficient but greatest savings for large plants is in reliability,and installation cost. Motor size is limited in single phase systems also,why three phase is needed.
For one garage and a few tools my opinion is there will not be very much in power savings. The cost difference for panel and breakers and motor protection will be costly too. Check this out and talk to power co. I’m sure they will want extra for installation also.
If you are going full time business that may be different story.
Just what I think.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I want to put in my two cents worth. I work in large paper mill we have all voltage mentioned above. 138000v from power co they reduce it to 13,800v where we take over. We even have some 25 hertz power too. 6,600v to 120v.
Most motor loads are 480 3 phase. We also use dc voltage for paper machines speed control. Now In thefew Years we use a lot of VFD Drives for AC motor speed control. VFD—variable frequency drive.
Now how this applies to op question. You now can purchase a VFD and supply 240v single phase and output 240v three phase if motor load is not to great. Another option instead of replacing motor.
Power company sells power by the amount of watts consumed. Single phase motors draw more amps per phase but only two phases so not as much savings as you think. Yes I think three phase motors are more efficient but greatest savings for large plants is in reliability,and installation cost. Motor size is limited in single phase systems also,why three phase is needed.
For one garage and a few tools my opinion is there will not be very much in power savings. The cost difference for panel and breakers and motor protection will be costly too. Check this out and talk to power co. I’m sure they will want extra for installation also.
If you are going full time business that may be different story.
Just what I think.

Sorry for the derail but what mill do you work at?

I work at a print shop myself.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WestRock Covington Va.
Was a Westvaco Co then a merger with mead paper MWV
Now WestRock another merger about 2 years ago. With Rock Ten
By the way we make a lot of printcote paper.
What printer do you work for?

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WestRock Covington Va.
Was a Westvaco Co then a merger with mead paper MWV
Now WestRock another merger about 2 years ago. With Rock Ten
By the way we make a lot of printcote paper.
What printer do you work for?

Mainline. A small shop in Kansas we run some of your stuff and it's good. Wish more people would spring for it over Carastar lol.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work in the local rock ten/ west rock occasionally. We service and repair the HVAC systems as well as the production cooling equipment (electrical panel cooling).

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless higher production work which I don’t really see the need for it. It was also attractive for all the machines I could get, but to switch them over to single would be cheaper then a three phase system.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to get off on high voltage transmission lines but some of the stuff in Ohio is 765,000 volts .I saw the conductors which are at least 4 million circular mil with 4 conductors per phase .
Where I work the transmission voltage comes in a 138,000 then transformed down to 13,800 then to 480 volts .