3 phase in a home shop

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most 208 three phase motors will run fine with a high leg.You will never know it.Sometimes on older transformers on the pole you can get it adjusted down to meet your tolerances if the power company is willing to do it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

The high leg is one leg to the grounded conductor. High to high they are always equal
So yes 3 phase motors run fine,
And single phase full voltage motors run fine,
It’s the 120/277v circuits that can go bad in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The high leg is one leg to the grounded conductor. High to high they are always equal

Yes they can.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree but off of that three phase circuit let's say you pull a 120 circuit off of one of the legs you need to watch which one you use.Ive had pretty good luck putting the wild leg through a step down transformer and getting it back down low enough to use.Ive seen bigger transformers set and all of the power ran through it with pretty good results too just much more money involved.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree but off of that three phase circuit let's say you pull a 120 circuit off of one of the legs you need to watch which one you use.Ive had pretty good luck putting the wild leg through a step down transformer and getting it back down low enough to use.Ive seen bigger transformers set and all of the power ran through it with pretty good results too just much more money involved.

Wild legs always pissed me off.Everytime I run into one it's more work involved.Seems like every site in Florida had it.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

We are in the process of getting rid of all the 208 delta transformers and panels at Duracell while we are moving all their lines. Everything 208 is going to 240.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are in the process of getting rid of all the 208 delta transformers and panels at Duracell while we are moving all their lines. Everything 208 is going to 240.
Wonder why they didn't go 480?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Pretty much what I said.
To be quite honest, if you aren’t familiar with this stuff, you should hire a knowledgeable electrician. It can go south in a hurry. And quite frankly, lately it seems even most electricians don’t have a clue.
We are required to take continuing ed classes here, but all we have to do is be there, and we pass. The questions raised would scare you. I wish there was a test at the end, that if you didn’t pass, you needed more schooling to keep your license.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty much what I said.
To be quite honest, if you aren’t familiar with this stuff, you should hire a knowledgeable electrician. It can go south in a hurry. And quite frankly, lately it seems even most electricians don’t have a clue.
We are required to take continuing ed classes here, but all we have to do is be there, and we pass. The questions raised would scare you. I wish there was a test at the end, that if you didn’t pass, you needed more schooling to keep your license.

I done industrial maintenance at a battery plant for 20 years before I got into this car wash gig.In order for us to not have to pull permits in every little Joe blow town in the country we hire electricians to pull all of our high voltage.Its a crapshoot

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Switching to 240 wye or delta?

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
All good information. What you guys think of using 3 oh in a residential application?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I done industrial maintenance at a battery plant for 20 years before I got into this car wash gig.In order for us to not have to pull permits in every little Joe blow town in the country we hire electricians to pull all of our high voltage.Its a crapshoot

Yup. I work with some........

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the purpose of a wild leg

The wild leg itself is not useful per say, but for example two of your standard transformers are 208 wye or 240v delta. So in a facility that is mostly motor loads, the higher voltage means lower amp draws, but still maintaining 120v from 2 legs for 120v loads. It can mean quite a difference in utility costs.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wild leg itself is not useful per say, but for example two of your standard transformers are 208 wye or 240v delta. So in a facility that is mostly motor loads, the higher voltage means lower amp draws, but still maintaining 120v from 2 legs for 120v loads. It can mean quite a difference in utility costs.

I never thought of it that way.Im use to 480 in manufacturing plants.I can't wrap my head around why they would do it to a 200 amp 208 service.