High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

3/8 LP chain on Stihl MS170

rapserv

New OPE Member
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Have recently purchased a Stihl MS170 chainsaw for some light firewood collection whilst caravaning.
The saw comes with Stihl 3/8 LP 'Picco' .043 on the 14" bar and I have purchased a roll of Hurricane 3/8 LP .043 to make up a few spare chains. Is the fact that it is not 'Picco' chain (or microlite) going to be an issue?
All looks ok to me except that the cutter is somewhat bigger and I would assume that I will have to take a more 'gentle' cut so that the saw is not overloaded. Are there any other issues that I am overlooking here?? :eeek:

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My MS170 isn't a powerhouse, but it got the job done until Dutch Elm disease hit. It's not quite up to having the bar buried in dry hardwood. I'd suggest that you don't file your rakers deeper than spec, .025" - .635mm. Then go cutting wood. :cool:

rapserv

New OPE Member
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My MS170 isn't a powerhouse, but it got the job done until Dutch Elm disease hit. It's not quite up to having the bar buried in dry hardwood. I'd suggest that you don't file your rakers deeper than spec, .025" - .635mm. Then go cutting wood. :cool:
thanks for the response. I have a Husky Rancher as my main saw on the farm but I wanted just a small saw just for the caravan.
Wanted to avoid carrying a chainsaw in the van due to fuel / oil leakage and tried using a 4" grinder with saw blade (as I was already carrying this for on-road repairs :-( ) for collecting light firewood... but as expected, this was pretty useless. So opted to pick up the little Stihl unit as it was on special... also allows me to collect some 'bigger' firewood :)

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love them. Some say it is a little aggressive on the depth gauges but I haven't noticed. Of course my free hand filing was less that stellar too.

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have recently purchased a Stihl MS170 chainsaw for some light firewood collection whilst caravaning.
The saw comes with Stihl 3/8 LP 'Picco' .043 on the 14" bar and I have purchased a roll of Hurricane 3/8 LP .043 to make up a few spare chains. Is the fact that it is not 'Picco' chain (or microlite) going to be an issue?
All looks ok to me except that the cutter is somewhat bigger and I would assume that I will have to take a more 'gentle' cut so that the saw is not overloaded. Are there any other issues that I am overlooking here?? :eeek:
I picked up a 170 on sale. Dealer changed out for .050 ga. 14" bar with extra chain. The .050 has more substantial teeth tie straps and rivets..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I should mention that the saw leaks more chain oil than I like. Best park it without topping the tank. The MS-170 doesn't have enough horses to burn out the muffler screen - spark arrester. Clean it once and a while by burning the sludge off with a propane torch. The two nuts that hold the muffler on are 8mm - 5/16", one of the places the French and Yankee systems cross.