288XP WTF!!!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder where your squish comes in without all the carbon in the chamber and on the piston.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I "promised" 10 tanks before I messed with it, but you guys just got in my head!!!! Haha. I succumbed to peer pressure. Won't be able to run it til after Christmas.
You may hate me for saying this but I think you should put a new ring on it. .018 end gap is indicative of a worn ring. At .021 that saw should be hitting 200psi. Really not trying to rain on your parade and maybe I’m wrong. @rattler is a pro that could tell you for sure what you should be hitting at that squish.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may hate me for saying this but I think you should put a new ring on it. .018 end gap is indicative of a worn ring. At .021 that saw should be hitting 200psi. Really not trying to rain on your parade and maybe I’m wrong. @rattler is a pro that could tell you for sure what you should be hitting at that squish.
Not at all mate, I agree!! I have ordered a Caber. But the combustion chamber looks too big to hit 200 to me. Happy to be wrong though.
The saw is like I suspected, well used but VERY well looked after. Was obviously someone's pride and joy! Was running too rich as well.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not at all mate, I agree!! I have ordered a Caber. But the combustion chamber looks too big to hit 200 to me. Happy to be wrong though.
The saw is like I suspected, well used but VERY well looked after. Was obviously someone's pride and joy! Was running too rich as well.
Some ones baby for sure, nice to see things get taken care of. That’s a real find you got there. Be prepared for an attitude when you put a new ring in it, she’ll try to stretch your fingers. Tank handle in crotch not recommended on these...lol

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some ones baby for sure, nice to see things get taken care of. That’s a real find you got there. Be prepared for an attitude when you put a new ring in it, she’ll try to stretch your fingers. Tank handle in crotch not recommended on these...lol
Haha 10-4 on that!

I was amazed at how much "spring" the ring still had in it. Like it just wanted to jump off the piston!

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The gasket delete didn't go completely "smooth" though. So when I measured the squish after removing the factory gasket I got 16.5 thou. I thought great, I'll knock up a gasket out of printer paper (which I know is 4 thou) and be bang on. So I did that. Got the Motoseal on and bolted her down. Did another quick squish check expecting to see 20-21.5 thou but instead saw 17!!! I checked again. Yep definitely 17. No idea how I messed up but was a little frustrated. So off came the jug and I cleaned off the paper and motoseal goo. Then made up a new gasket out of heavy paper which I measured at 8 thou. Motoseal again and screw it back together. This time squish was perfect at 21 thou (as per picture). Put her back together feeling pleased.

So 4 hours later I do the compression test and then fire her up. She spins around on the floor "pop, pop, pop, ting-ing" away and then starts to idle higher. Much higher. I touch the throttle and she dies but doesn't stall. Then idles up again. "Oh no, air leak!"

I couldn't believe it. I sat her on the bench and started pulling her down for a pressure and vac check. Got the intake off, the muff off, made up some blocking plates and cut rubber to fit. Got the inlet and exhaust sealed up and hooked up the pressure tester. Pumped in 7psi. Held steady as a rock. Must be vacuum then! Nope. Perfect. I thought "must be a gasket in the intake tract. But they all looked perfect AND I didn't pull any of that apart initially because the cylinder and entire inlet tract all come off in one piece (which is so easy compared to Stihl).

Then it dawned on me.........."was it this chainsaw or another that I fuelled up?!!" Yes, she had just run out of fuel! What an idiot!!! I still can't believe I didn't check that straight up, but there you go!

Moral of the story? Pay attention di$khead!!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The gasket delete didn't go completely "smooth" though. So when I measured the squish after removing the factory gasket I got 16.5 thou. I thought great, I'll knock up a gasket out of printer paper (which I know is 4 thou) and be bang on. So I did that. Got the Motoseal on and bolted her down. Did another quick squish check expecting to see 20-21.5 thou but instead saw 17!!! I checked again. Yep definitely 17. No idea how I messed up but was a little frustrated. So off came the jug and I cleaned off the paper and motoseal goo. Then made up a new gasket out of heavy paper which I measured at 8 thou. Motoseal again and screw it back together. This time squish was perfect at 21 thou (as per picture). Put her back together feeling pleased.

So 4 hours later I do the compression test and then fire her up. She spins around on the floor "pop, pop, pop, ting-ing" away and then starts to idle higher. Much higher. I touch the throttle and she dies but doesn't stall. Then idles up again. "Oh no, air leak!"

I couldn't believe it. I sat her on the bench and started pulling her down for a pressure and vac check. Got the intake off, the muff off, made up some blocking plates and cut rubber to fit. Got the inlet and exhaust sealed up and hooked up the pressure tester. Pumped in 7psi. Held steady as a rock. Must be vacuum then! Nope. Perfect. I thought "must be a gasket in the intake tract. But they all looked perfect AND I didn't pull any of that apart initially because the cylinder and entire inlet tract all come off in one piece (which is so easy compared to Stihl).

Then it dawned on me.........."was it this chainsaw or another that I fuelled up?!!" Yes, she had just run out of fuel! What an idiot!!! I still can't believe I didn't check that straight up, but there you go!

Moral of the story? Pay attention di$khead!!
We’ve all been there...still funny to hear someone’s story...lol. Sure seems like your base has been cut, unless you’ve got a factory freak that has tighter squish

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make a gasket out of a pop can should get you up to 0.020.5
I'm at 0.021 right now @rattler with the thicker paper gasket I made. When the new ring arrives I will decide whether I go with the same or one from a pop can. They are just a bit more difficult to cut than the paper versions.

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm at 0.021 right now @rattler with the thicker paper gasket I made. When the new ring arrives I will decide whether I go with the same or one from a pop can. They are just a bit more difficult to cut than the paper versions.

I just can't seem to trust the paper gaskets