High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

288xp, 385xp or 390xp??

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
We’ve both been drooling over that 385 in the classifieds. Just not in the cards with a post Christmas checking account...lol! If you know anyone with a builder give me a shout.
I know the feeling there i found one on offer up a runner for 185 bucks needed some screws fixed and the chain tensioner ass. In clutch was bad i shipped tmit to ranchdad mike for what i paid olus shipping. Hes tickled pink. Same to you if you find 066 short case small crank shaft saw builder

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No Stihl chain here, I bought a couple loops once since it’s so much better, I went back to buying my 3 Oregon or Carlton for the price of one Stihl loop. Never noticed much difference besides it’s harder on files.
You like your Stihl stuff, we all get that. So just give it a rest and go brag on a Stihl thread. They have good stuff but it’s far from superior!
I stated a page back or so that id be hated for it mentioning 064. Everyone is as guilty as i for fueling the fire. Ive actually heard carlton is good wich you prefer that or oregon.been tempted to try carlton does it strech as bad as oregon.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stated a page back or so that id be hated for it mentioning 064. Everyone is as guilty as i for fueling the fire. Ive actually heard carlton is good wich you prefer that or oregon.been tempted to try carlton does it strech as bad as oregon.
I think what MG2186 was getting at in one of his posts was that banter is fun but not necessarily in every thread all the time. Time and place...know what I mean?

I run Oregon chain, cheaper, sharpens good without destroying my files. I have a loop of Stihl RS and can honestly say I don’t see the benefit for my environment. I’m usually cutting pretty clean logs so my Oregon chains stay sharp a long time.

I’ll keep a look out for an 066 builder for ya

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel carlton stretches more, does hold an edge as well as o re gun.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
1:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
@SawTroll how have you been? I see you are sneaking around here today. :)

Any thoughts on my initial question of this thread? I'm guessing you might favor the 288 for it's outboard clutch and bullet-proof bottom end?

I'm quite OK, it is just that other interests that are more realistic regarding my bone and joint related issues took the upper hand some time last spring (fishing, an old interest that "woke up") - as I can't do much with chain saws but cut in the yard at this point.

Regarding the saws in question, I'd take the 288 if planning to use the saw in the woods (for the better handling), but as that isn't an option to me I'd go with the better AV etc. of the 390. The 385 no doubt has the best factory porting though, so it is a strong contender with a larger carb and a (much) more open muffler (preferably a larger muffler as well - it can be done) , even with the stock cylinder porting.
The 385 and 390 are heavily strangled at both ends, and are in bad need of some help - the 390 needs cylinder porting as well though (according to my brother, which I trust more than anyone else on such issues).
According to him, the 385/2186 OEM cylinder is the most perfectly ported factory cylinder he has seen (and he has seen a lot) - the problem is the "strangulation" at both ends (no doubt done for noise and emission levels).

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I hope you get to feeling better. Thanks for the thoughts Sir :)

That really cements my decision on the next project. Might not even grind on the cylinder, just run it in stock config with the exception of getting it breathing better on both ends.

Last edited:

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If your still looking. Did you see the 385 with brand new oem 390 topend and boot etc for $400 shipped last night? Posted by a dealer in Ohio on CR.
Heck might have sold dont know people were lined up I seen.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't like 288s. I would rather run a 385/390.

I'd take a 930 over a 288 any day

I'm with you on all accounts, Mike. I've had some cherry 288s and have never been impressed with them.

I as well find the Jony 930 much more impressive. They're one of the most impressive stock saws I've ever run, similar to a Poulan 5200/5400/8500.

Give me a 390XP over a 385XP any day. There was a time when I coudn't get a 390 to run like a 385, but it's all in how you build it. If you're building the saws, who cares how perfect the port timings are of the 385?