262 Help

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the curve for advance and such on the 51 coil different than 262? Long term may be worth going with 262 coil

One of the 3 262's Dan did last year had the flywheel key sheer and shift. I was running it and it started running like crap (triggering would not accelerate -- just bogg).
When trying to restart it kicked back and bit Dan pretty well w/ off timing going on.

Took to the bench and pulled flywheel to reveal sheered key.

Dan used valve lapping compound on the crank to get the surface prepped to grab the taper on the flywheel well.
Lined up the key slot and original key location on flywheel to get it in the right spot and tightened down well so taper grabs the flywheel.

Saw was returned to it's original beast performance and ran a couple of tanks through it and gave it to it's new owner.

+1 on changing the stop switch -- I had similar problems w/ my 1991 262 tore my arm out trying to get it to run after a carb rebuild, cylinder cleanup, and new piston installed.
Disconnected the spade lug at the switch and saw came to life ran perfect. Touched spade to case to shut the saw off until I got a new switch from a local dealer that to my surprise stocked 262 switches.

Certainly let us know how this all turns out!

Videos from my stop switch debugging -- called Dan that day and he and I were thinking coil. I had an extra coil to try but turns out my original coil was fine once switch figured out. This 262 is once again ripping well -- still needs some tanks through since new piston but it's gotten quite strong again. Carb rebuild success and got the tune all dialed in... was playing with this saw at Dan's GTG a few weeks back. Need to cut some firewood with it now.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the curve for advance and such on the 51 coil different than 262? Long term may be worth going with 262 coil

One of the 3 262's Dan did last year had the flywheel key sheer and shift. I was running it and it started running like crap (triggering would not accelerate -- just bogg).
When trying to restart it kicked back and bit Dan pretty well w/ off timing going on.

Took to the bench and pulled flywheel to reveal sheered key.

Dan used valve lapping compound on the crank to get the surface prepped to grab the taper on the flywheel well.
Lined up the key slot and original key location on flywheel to get it in the right spot and tightened down well so taper grabs the flywheel.

Saw was returned to it's original beast performance and ran a couple of tanks through it and gave it to it's new owner.

+1 on changing the stop switch -- I had similar problems w/ my 1991 262 tore my arm out trying to get it to run after a carb rebuild, cylinder cleanup, and new piston installed.
Disconnected the spade lug at the switch and saw came to life ran perfect. Touched spade to case to shut the saw off until I got a new switch from a local dealer that to my surprise stocked 262 switches.

Certainly let us know how this all turns out!

Videos from my stop switch debugging -- called Dan that day and he and I were thinking coil. I had an extra coil to try but turns out my original coil was fine once switch figured out. This 262 is once again ripping well -- still needs some tanks through since new piston but it's gotten quite strong again. Carb rebuild success and got the tune all dialed in... was playing with this saw at Dan's GTG a few weeks back. Need to cut some firewood with it now.

Prior to filming that first video I tried to start the thing like 30 times. Best it would do is to fire for a moment and quit (like the intial pop when on choke during a cold start) ... I was so annoyed and was making the video to demonstrate what it was doing for Dan's opinion. Low and behold it ran for that few seconds and then next attempt it ran indefinitely and I could start triggering the throttle... the stop switch must have vibrated it's way into a position where it was clear of shorting it to stop the saw or make it intermittent... Man that was crazy.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Glad you fixed it Eric. And thanks for sharing. [emoji106]

Dontchya love my garbage can workbench? I do have a saw bench in the basement, but all testing happens in the driveway w/ my deluxe garbage can workbench. When the saws leave bar oil on there it's no problem! Perfect! LOL.