Country flag

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may have a few goodies for you, will look when I am back in the shop Wednesday. Pretty sure I have a flywheel.
Thanks Joe. I’m going to grab a 257 out of the same junk pile this saw came from. I’ll let you know what I still need after I get it. Always a pleasure doing business with you.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those two dog screws messed me up once....didn't know they were case bolts. Tore a case half.....whoops.

Nice job so far!
Thanks Matt. That little A-hole by the carb got me once...lol

And thanks for bringing up the recess of the flywheel side bearing. Important for the carrier to seat properly. It’s tough to remember all this stuff and post it as you go.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On these I have found it best to freeze the crank and drop the bearings on, then heat the case halves, install the PTO side first so it is fully seated, then the flywheel side.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On these I have found it best to freeze the crank and drop the bearings on, then heat the case halves, install the PTO side first so it is fully seated, then the flywheel side.
That’s actually the way I put my 288 together, nice to use a familiar process. Thanks Joe

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t think a saw could could be any simpler than a 288 to work on until I got this one. Very simple, yet rugged platform.

And a funny point in light of all the “hooskie losing screws” jokes...there wasn’t a single loose fastener on this saw lol

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t think a saw could could any simpler to work on until I got this one. Very simple, yet rugged platform.

And a funny point in light of all the “hooskie losing screws” jokes...there wasn’t a single loose fastener on this saw lol

Nothing spits screws like a Stihl 041.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you can always check my 262xp vids. it'll be nearly identical, but it seems like you have a good start.

problem with lists like that ... they get expensive. there is a reason these get tossed... it takes a lot more than you expect to bring them back to life.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you can always check my 262xp vids. it'll be nearly identical, but it seems like you have a good start.

problem with lists like that ... they get expensive. there is a reason these get tossed... it takes a lot more than you expect to bring them back to life.
True on the list, But I’m not doing this for a flip, it’s a keeper. And will still be far cheaper than buying a new saw.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The nice thing is a forum like this. I’m sure someone will have a few good used parts. If you were buying all new oem to resale you’d definitely be underwater. Btw, nice build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that OEM Hoosky parts tend to be quite a bit cheaper than Creamsicle. Fixed up an 038 Super for a buddy of mine awhile back, it had a torn carb boot. 37 bucks for that friggen thing! Same thing for a Hoosky is half that. I'll bet this 254 is running for under $200 including the initial cost of buying it. :)