High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

242xp resurrection. (My first 2xx series) Build Complete! Vid added!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ya know Tor, I was just looking at the port timing numbers you posted again... if one were to window the Meteor piston and just lower that intake floor a bit, the Meteor without the gasket might just make for a pretty good combination. Windowing the piston would serve to lighten the piston as well as bring it closer to OEM design.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would get as close to factory design as possible. Good thought on the affect of lightening the piston with relation to torque, but imho I think that's why they made that little booger turn so fast. They made up for lack of mass by spinning it much faster than other saws.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Faster will also put more stress on that special bearing that is not available, but to me it depends on what the user likes, I like torque and figure the 242 has RPM to spare, what it lacks is grunt in the cut to me. Don't think there is a wrong answer just a preference.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would get as close to factory design as possible. Good thought on the affect of lightening the piston with relation to torque, but imho I think that's why they made that little booger turn so fast. They made up for lack of mass by spinning it much faster than other saws.
Just a little point on the high speed of the 242 xp......Free rpm is 15000 and sum ..BUT.. they come down to normal sorts of RPM in any sustained cut. You dont see monster speeds other than in a free rev situation.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a little point on the high speed of the 242 xp......Free rpm is 15000 and sum ..BUT.. they come down to normal sorts of RPM in any sustained cut. You dont see monster speeds other than in a free rev situation.
Absolutely correct Simondo. Guess I should've written that differently so as not to imply it would hold miraculous speed in the cut.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes that's why I don't plan to do any grinding on my cylinder unless it times with less intake than the stock numbers Tor posted. I can live with exhaust and transfer timing a couple of degrees from stock, but I don't want it to lose any intake. Duration already favors exhaust pretty significantly and I don't want to increase that margin. To me, this saw seems like just the basic mods I listed above and possibly lowering the intake if needed to bring it back to stock numbers might just be the ticket. I'm anxious to see how it times times with the Lil Red Barn piston.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Faster will also put more stress on that special bearing that is not available, but to me it depends on what the user likes, I like torque and figure the 242 has RPM to spare, what it lacks is grunt in the cut to me. Don't think there is a wrong answer just a preference.
You've got one up on me as I have never run one. Just thinking about running it...lol

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok question for anyone that knows: is the muffler supposed to come apart at the seam?? It doesn't look welded or crimped. I walked my son through pulling the top end off a 55 open port and that muffler basically fell apart after taking the muffler mounting bolts out. That muffler doesn't seem overly damaged and is not rotted at all, just a small dent or two. I wanted to take the 242 muffler apart to make removing the baffle inside easier. Do I need to just be more assertive and break out the whizzy wheel or should it come apart like that 55 muffler?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a thought but the 242 has more then rnough RPM, more rotating mass makes for more torque. Just my thought
A large, rotating mass, yes. But the piston stops and starts 25,000 times per minute. Lighter is better for power,provided it's still strong enough

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Absolutely correct Simondo. Guess I should've written that differently so as not to imply it would hold miraculous speed in the cut.
I only mention this thing about the 242xp 's speed ..not to be pedantic but to highlight that its going to come down to be more in line with other quick saws "in the cut RPM" . They are a very quick trigger saw indeed and do hold high speed when limbing in softwood which is there natural home. X cutting ...you need a lighter touch to keep the saw on song. Im sure you two will really like the saw when done though..close to standard or not.:)

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok question for anyone that knows: is the muffler supposed to come apart at the seam?? It doesn't look welded or crimped. I walked my son through pulling the top end off a 55 open port and that muffler basically fell apart after taking the muffler mounting bolts out. That muffler doesn't seem overly damaged and is not rotted at all, just a small dent or two. I wanted to take the 242 muffler apart to make removing the baffle inside easier. Do I need to just be more assertive and break out the whizzy wheel or should it come apart like that 55 muffler?
Pics of the sort of muffler you have ...Euro ones are not like USA ones.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only mention this thing about the 242xp 's speed ..not to be pedantic but to highlight that its going to come down to be more in line with other quick saws "in the cut RPM" . They are a very quick trigger saw indeed and do hold high speed when limbing in softwood which is there natural home. X cutting ...you need a lighter touch to keep the saw on song. Im sure you two will really like the saw when done though..close to standard or not.:)
I'm sure we will love it. Then my bro will have yet another saw I try to sneak off the shelf when I'm up for a visit. Lol!

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sure we will love it. Then my bro will have yet another saw I try to sneak off the shelf when I'm up for a visit. Lol!
I believe the solution and the choice of a mature big bro , is of corse to invest in something that will turn the tables . Very unlikely you would regret it and Joe may take his eyes off the shelf long enough not to notice !!:D