High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

242xp resurrection. (My first 2xx series) Build Complete! Vid added!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well looky there, thanks for that tip David! Seems as though I removed that cover on teardown and found nothing there and was left scratching my head as to it's purpose. I'll go out and check.

Tor, I did check availability on those parts a couple months ago and it seemed they were still available... I'm gonna be kicking myself if they are now NLA.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Way overdue to revive this thread. Long story short, life happens and I just plain haven't gotten to my 242 project yet. Spent the summer playing with boats, getting winter wood in, and now our deer season is ending on Dec 3rd.

Anyway, I'm getting back into saw mode and going to get after this project in the very near future.

Any updates in 242 world since we all last talked? Anyone out there find a PTO crank bearing solution?

Planning to order my flywheel side crank bearing, seal, and gasket set in a week or so.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
9:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone out there find a PTO crank bearing solution?
They are pretty much impossible to find through Husqvarna, NLA in Norway, Sweeden, US.

I dont know if they are the real slacker 543301....
http://www.bearing-web.com/en/bearing-543301-slacker-5469603.html
https://england.bearingshoponline.ro/bearing-543301-slacker-1508209.html
I'm not sure about the company either, same phone number on them, different emails, but its the only place I've seen them..... (except the super pricey 543301 E23)

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How have you been Tor?

Yeah, I remember the lack of availability through Husky. Was just wondering if maybe another manufacturer like SKF or Timken stepped up since we all last discussed it.

Makes me wonder if it would be feasible for a company like one of those to make some if they had a sample to replicate??

Good news is, I revisited my parts list and checked availability and it seems that the flywheel side crank and seal are still available along with many other parts I would like to get to pretty it up when I get the basic overhaul done. :)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How have you been Tor?

Yeah, I remember the lack of availability through Husky. Was just wondering if maybe another manufacturer like SKF or Timken stepped up since we all last discussed it.

Makes me wonder if it would be feasible for a company like one of those to make some if they had a sample to replicate??

Good news is, I revisited my parts list and checked availability and it seems that the flywheel side crank and seal are still available along with many other parts I would like to get to pretty it up when I get the basic overhaul done. :)
thanks for asking, i'm doing okey, exercises more then chainsaws though :D

This PTO issue is a difficult one.
I dont know any bearings who is a perfect match, and I've not heard about other brands making one.
133/234/238 used one SKF bearing while 44/444 used slacker.
242 had slacker, so the SKF PTO bearing was terminated after they stopped the production on 238 far as I know.

For an industrial bearing factory, bearings like slacker 543301 has no interest for them, the volume is just to little, doesnt mather of whitch company we speak with, it will be a super low production.
I've asked Husqvarna if they would consider to order in some from slacker but they where pretty much not interested, when things go NLA they rarerly change their mind again.

With luck, maybe Stihl or Husky will come with a new model who has the same style PTO bearing.....in their time the good old 020 super had a usuable bearing.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So yesterday I ordered my first batch of parts for the 242 including the flywheel side crank bearing, which is listed on Partstree as a 6201-c3. My parts man called me back today and told me that bearing is NLA. So I asked why wouldn't the current revision 6201 work and had him order that instead.

OEM gasket kit seems to be NLA now as you said previously Tor, despite HL Supply having them on sale for their cyber monday sale. Maybe they are still sitting on a few?? I might put in an order with them for the OEM gasket kit and see what happens. If I don't get an email saying it's NLA I'll pass the word on to you in case you are interested. Don't know if they will ship across the pond or not though.

All said and done, I should have the bottom end together and much of the rest well on it's way once I get the parts I ordered. Can't go crazy with Christmas time upon is and presents to get for the kids.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm almost certain that the "RS2" suffix for the 6201 bearings you can get now just means it has two rubber seals over the bearing retainer that can easily be plucked out with a dental pick and used in the flywheel side of the 242. I have one 6201c3-RS2 on order now. Will confirm when it arrives :)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Tor R

My OCD is really tempted to pull the trigger on this if for no reason other than to have it on hand for a rainy day. Seems to be the correct bearing?? https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Stihl-...391709084911?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
the little check I did when I had one is that the stihl bearing should work.
There is a slot for a locking ring in the outher race on them Stihls who is the major difference between Husky/Stihl, if I had to I would give it a try.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Tor. I just wanted to make sure that was the correct Stihl bearing you referenced before.. I think I'll go ahead and buy it as even this Stihl bearing doesn't seem to pop up very often. I just searched for it a couple weeks ago and found none anywhere on Ebay. I'll probably go ahead and install it on this build and tuck away my seemingly useable OEM bearing safely coated in oil in a Ziploc bag for a rainy day.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tick.................tock................tick...............tock..............

Waiting for parts now. :confused::eusa_whistle:

And whilst I'm waiting, I'm going to be in need of a couple of NLA parts for my 242 if any of you fellers have anything kicking around. I'll be ready to buy probably after the holidays.

1: A top cover in better shape than mine
2: A bucking spike, mine has the flat bumper

I know a spike is probably silly on a saw in this size, but I can't stand those abominable bumpers! If I can't find a 242 spike, I'm thinking about trying to modify one from a 346 to work.

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, the PTO bearing arrived today. It is as advertised in terms of brand and part number. All seems well... Although it has a plastic retainer which I was a little surprised to find. My 242 parts are not in hand at the moment and I can't remember if my OEM bearing has a plastic retainer or not. I'll check tomorrow but it's looking like it's going to be an early call to work and a long day plowing snow tomorrow, so bear with me.

Should be picking up my other parts from GKS Thursday :D

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don' think you are going to be getting out of the plow truck much this week up your way. :)

I've got spikes for the 242 chassis. Even on a saw that small, if you are used to them being there, it bugs you when they aren't. I also have an NOS top cover for $50 if you can't locate a decent one up your way. Has the yellow safety decals, but not the "242" decal. These covers were common to the 42 Special and 246 so they came without a model decal.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's great Bob! I'd like to get past the holidays and buy those from you if they are still available at that time. I don't expect you to hold anything if someone else shows interest in the meantime.

Yeah, went to work at 3:00am this morning and left work at 4:00 this afternoon, there is about 8" on the ground right now. We are in the calm before the next storm, the lake effect machine is predicted to gear up and start slamming us again starting this evening sometime. Be another long day tomorrow!

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cover and spikes are yours Joe; whenever you're ready for it. I threw it out there to you, so no problem holding on to it.

We'll have to have a 242 fest at Walt's. He has a 238 that rips for that displacement. Not to mention a "42" that has a 242 jug under the cover. I have a couple of them myself. In the process of doing one with my SS treatment that is all ready for assembly. Messed around with the intake and I either made it better...............or i ruined it. :) But the intake port on those is just a slit, so I opened and lowered it a little. We'll see.