High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

242xp resurrection. (My first 2xx series) Build Complete! Vid added!

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crank installed in PTO case half. View attachment 104264

Bottom end together and crank rotates freely. :)View attachment 104266

Got a flywheel key, it's about .020" thinner, so I guess I'm advancing the ignition a bit ;)

Getting ready to see where the timing numbers land with the Lil Red Barn piston...will post numbers shortly. View attachment 104281

Well, timing came in quite close to Tor's stock numbers he listed as I suspected it would.

Here are the numbers:
Ex-111
Trans-126
Intake-61
Squish-.050"

This is with the base gasket installed.

I'm gonna run it as is, no grinding :)

Bout to go out and see if she starts. I don't have a chain yet so I won't be running it much, just enough to see how she acts! :DView attachment 104313 View attachment 104314

SUCCESS! She lives!

When I pick up a chain I'll see about getting some vid and posting. I didn't want to run it too long as I forgot that one exhaust bolt was missing. I ordered one today. Very happy with how it turned out.

YAHOO 242! :D :D
yay, she is alive!!
Well done with your build, and awesome pictures through the whole thread :)

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Tor, I appreciate it. I really appreciate the help you have given along the way, thank you Sir. :)

She's going to get prettier as Bob has a top cover for me in better shape than this one that I will he buying from him this week.

I can't wait to try it out

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I received the muffler bolt I needed yesterday so I decided to run to GKS and get a chain and get the last few "needed" parts on the Yahoo-242. I have a nicer top cover coming from Spike60 next week.. but mechanically speaking I think she is good to go.

After installing a couple parts, Josh and I decided to brave the bitter cold Sub-Zero temps and wind here and get a couple quick cuts on video for you guys. DAMN it's cold out!!

Anyway, at this point I would recommend that Performance Saw Supply piston from Lil Red Barn to any of you gents needing a proper windowed piston for your 242. It's about as close to OEM as I was able to find in terms of design and dimensions. Port timing came out to 111/126/61 with a base gasket. That's only 1 degree less blowdown and one degree less intake than OEM numbers posted by Tor. I did not grind on this cylinder at all.
Obviously I haven't yet run it enough to comment about longevity of that piston, so time will tell on that front.

Compression test yielded 155psi, very happy with that considering the base gasket is in place.

Anyway on to the video...the piece I made a couple cookies out of is 12" frozen hickory, quite hard! As you can see in the vid, the little bugger is pretty quick till it approaches the fattest part of the cut. I think it did quite well for a basically stock 42cc and I really like this little saw!! Sorry the video isn't longer, it was all we could take out there at 2 below zero with a steady wind.

Thank you again @Woodrow for the bar, it is a perfect match for the Yahoo-242 :)

Last edited:

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Spike60
Did I see a video where you and Walt discussed this series of saw and you mentioned that the tank from another saw (Husky 42?) which is easier to find fits as a replacement? Or what to do if your 242xp saw has a cracked rear handle and you want to replace the tank?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Spike60
Did I see a video where you and Walt discussed this series of saw and you mentioned that the tank from another saw (Husky 42?) which is easier to find fits as a replacement? Or what to do if your 242xp saw has a cracked rear handle and you want to replace the tank?

Really only one tank for thie 42/242 family. Only differences are that the early tanks take a grometed fuel line and the new ones don't. No big deal there either way as the 55 tank grommet can be used along with the newer fuel line in most older tanks.

What you might be thinking of is where I posted some pics of using a 55/254/257 fuel tank on a 262. The 262 tanks are NLA, but the other tank works fine. Just has to be converted to the 254/257 mounts.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ran the YAHOO 242 a little bit more today. Was a little finicky to tune in but I think she's all set now. Only trouble I have is that no matter how low I set the idle, the clutch still cycles the chain. Guess I better see about getting a new clutch and I don't think I have seen any descent AM solutions.

Might better just bite the boolit and get a complete OEM setup before they go NLA :(

Last edited:

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the YAHOO 242 a little bit more today. Was a little finicky to tune in but I think she's all set now. Only trouble I have is that no matter how low I set the idle, the clutch still cycles the chain. Guess I better see about getting a new clutch and I don't think I have seen any descent AM solutions.

Might better just bite the boolit and get a complete OEM setup before they go NLA :(
start with a new clutch spring, its the first I swap out on all my 242 projects, 4-5$ for one.
It can also be the sprocket bearing...

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Joe... it is possible to shorten the long coil spring to test if that is your issue before you get a new OEM one. They tend to "flat back " so often worth swapping anyhow as Tor says . Parts are a bugger here so i tend to make do and mend if i can. The clutch bearing on all the saws iv had have been the single sided push fit sort in a steel case, they can cause the saw to stall out at idle with the chain brake on ...another point of reference for you.

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My clutch is the newer style that is easy to swap the bearing on. I was wondering if I could shorten the clutch shoe spring as a means of pinpointing the issue.

Thanks fellas. :)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My clutch is the newer style that is easy to swap the bearing on. I was wondering if I could shorten the clutch shoe spring as a means of pinpointing the issue.

Thanks fellas. :)
its what I would do, you need to buy a new spring anyway so why not.
I've had 242's where the chain slowly travel on 2.4k rpm, never thought the spring was that bad but with a new spring its a tad over 3k

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
YAHOO 242!! :aplastao:

Did you manage to find a PTO bearing or was the existing bearing still good??

Either way, nice job Sir! Glad to see another 242 back in service :)

Tor sent some over

I hope mine is gonna be good when i build it i have 2 to do

Thank you

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This may be an awful thing to say, but my biggest source for PTO bearings comes from 44 runner's.
A 44 is a low rpm saw, 8-8.5k max power and wot 12k, far as I've seen they always has a slacker 543301 bearing, no scoring and I pretty much know I get a good bearing.
It's not often I find a 44 at any of my dealers nowadays, but if I do I never pay more then 20$ for the whole saw, most of the times they are freebies.

Cuttinstuff

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi,
I just read through this whole thread... Wow, lots of great information in there!

I recently acquired a 42 Special to rebuild and found the piston has cracks on both sides of the piston skirts (on the clutch side) It has the Gilardoni 241A (2) cylinder and the piston also has Gilardoni stamped on the inside.
There are no windows in the piston.

I'm just wondering if the aftermarket piston that was used in the rebuild in this thread could also be used in this saw?

If not, would the Tecomec P/C kit be an option?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited: