High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

242xp resurrection. (My first 2xx series) Build Complete! Vid added!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I went to George Kahler Sales (GKS) today with XP_Slinger to rummage through the "junk pile" figuring on seeing if I could rescue the 266 he told me about last week. Well, I found about a half dozen 2xx series builders, a 254, 262, 266, 268, all missing a couple random parts but mostly complete. But what made my day was finding a complete 242! :D :D XP_Slinger found his own little treasure, but I'll let him elaborate on his find. This 242 seems to be 100% complete but has a scored piston. Overall it is dirty, but not too beat up and seems like it should clean up pretty well. Only flaw I see other than needing a rebuild is a crack in the top cover that was stitched up with mechanics wire. I had $50 cash on me and we went back into the store to see how much Jeff (the owner) would need from us to take our finds home. Josh struck a deal on his find and then I held up the little 242, clutch side toward him at first but when I swing it around and showed him what the decal on the starter read he smiled big and said "looky what YOU found!!" LOL! Jeff is a great guy and we always enjoy visiting his shop, but it started to feel like I might not have had enough cash on me to bring this little gem home. I asked the big question, and he came back with $75. I said "Jeff, I have 50 bucks on me, and I'll buy ALL of my parts from you for the rebuild when I get started on it". He thought hard for a second and offered it up for $60 and said I could catch up with him for the other 10 bucks. I happily agreed to the price and closed the deal. Little brother floated me the ten bucks to get me square with Jeff. (Thanks again Josh).

Anyway, I went there looking to find my next builder in a size saw I don't really already have, and preferably a 2xx series. I couldn't be happier with what ended up following me home! @Tor R I will be seeking your guidance on this saw once I get started on it. We are saving our extra spending cash for our family vacation coming up at the end of June, so I will probably not start the build till we get home from that in early July. I just wanted to show you guys what I got today, and if anyone has any pointers on any facet of this saw in the course of overhauling it, I would love to hear them. I know a few parts for this model are tough to come by and I'm OK with the treasure hunt I may be in for. I have been wanting a pro quality, mag case, sub-45cc for awhile now and this was my #1 desire for one, second being a Dolmar 421.

Well, here are the pics. How did I do? If I'm reading the tag right, it's a '94 model?? IMG_20170505_170204321.jpg IMG_20170505_170213662.jpg IMG_20170505_170224282.jpg IMG_20170505_170233619.jpg

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I went to George Kahler Sales (GKS) today with XP_Slinger to rummage through the "junk pile" figuring on seeing if I could rescue the 266 he told me about last week. Well, I found about a half dozen 2xx series builders, a 254, 262, 266, 268, all missing a couple random parts but mostly complete. But what made my day was finding a complete 242! :D :D XP_Slinger found his own little treasure, but I'll let him elaborate on his find. This 242 seems to be 100% complete but has a scored piston. Overall it is dirty, but not too beat up and seems like it should clean up pretty well. Only flaw I see other than needing a rebuild is a crack in the top cover that was stitched up with mechanics wire. I had $50 cash on me and we went back into the store to see how much Jeff (the owner) would need from us to take our finds home. Josh struck a deal on his find and then I held up the little 242, clutch side toward him at first but when I swing it around and showed him what the decal on the starter read he smiled big and said "looky what YOU found!!" LOL! Jeff is a great guy and we always enjoy visiting his shop, but it started to feel like I might not have had enough cash on me to bring this little gem home. I asked the big question, and he came back with $75. I said "Jeff, I have 50 bucks on me, and I'll buy ALL of my parts from you for the rebuild when I get started on it". He thought hard for a second and offered it up for $60 and said I could catch up with him for the other 10 bucks. I happily agreed to the price and closed the deal. Little brother floated me the ten bucks to get me square with Jeff. (Thanks again Josh).

Anyway, I went there looking to find my next builder in a size saw I don't really already have, and preferably a 2xx series. I couldn't be happier with what ended up following me home! @Tor R I will be seeking your guidance on this saw once I get started on it. We are saving our extra spending cash for our family vacation coming up at the end of June, so I will probably not start the build till we get home from that in early July. I just wanted to show you guys what I got today, and if anyone has any pointers on any facet of this saw in the course of overhauling it, I would love to hear them. I know a few parts for this model are tough to come by and I'm OK with the treasure hunt I may be in for. I have been wanting a pro quality, mag case, sub-45cc for awhile now and this was my #1 desire for one, second being a Dolmar 421.

Well, here are the pics. How did I do? If I'm reading the tag right, it's a '94 model?? View attachment 68807 View attachment 68808 View attachment 68809 View attachment 68810
1994 week 45.
you did well bud, all those 242's who is sold on ebay go minimum 70$ and they are not complete, most are close to 100$ as defect saws.
Most of those 242's get scored when people adjust those carbs to lean, or the flywheel seal fail, Husky updated that seal later.
Husky Norway still got them pistons in stock, if you go oem I'll fix one for you when you are ready to start your project, there is a few other NLA stuff we got..

We have started a thread where we went through them a bit...
http://opeforum.com/threads/the-husky-42-42-special-242-246-thread.6191/

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you Tor, I will definitely consult with you for some parts. I want to go through this saw from the crank bearings on up. I'm going to clean it up probably this weekend and I'll pull the top end and have a look at the cylinder. The piston is scored. I see we can get Meteor pistons for the 242 here in the US. I hope the cylinder is salvageable and I think it will be based on cylinders I have brought back that had much worse looking pistons in them.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Tor, I will definitely consult with you for some parts. I want to go through this saw from the crank bearings on up. I'm going to clean it up probably this weekend and I'll pull the top end and have a look at the cylinder. The piston is scored. I see we can get Meteor pistons for the 242 here in the US. I hope the cylinder is salvageable and I think it will be based on cylinders I have brought back that had much worse looking pistons in them.
Meteor piston is a no go.
It isnt piston ported, and the crown is 30th lower then oem pistons.
Dunno what Meteor made pistons for but its way of the specs for 242 and for that case 42.

I got one 242 xpg year 95 in build, I plan to delay her a bit, perhaps we can build them together ;)

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well thank you for that bit of info that saved me from wasting money on a piston that won't work. Odd though, I have used Meteors in 4 other builds now to date and they have been terrific.

I'd love to do a joint build! I'm thinking I will be able to start sometime in late summer this year.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well thank you for that bit of info that saved me from wasting money on a piston that won't work. Odd though, I have used Meteors in 4 other builds now to date and they have been terrific.

I'd love to do a joint build! I'm thinking I will be able to start sometime in late summer this year.
I bought Meteor 242 piston for one of my 42 special, but 0.8mm (0.031") lower piston crown made it not really usuable.

Jule-August month sounds fine for me :)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, it seems like I recall there being an issue finding one of the crank bearings for the 242. Is that correct?
yup, PTO bearing # 501594002 (slacker bearing) is NLA and has been NLA for at least one year by now.
Its also the same bearing 44 used.
Those Stihl AV 20 Super used some of the same bearing, it should also fit.
Ive only seen 2 PtO bearings who wasnt good, most of the time its the flywheel bearing I choose to swap.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was just looking at Partstree and found out the PTO bearing and seal are NLA. I hope both turn out to be good when I take the saw apart. If not I will see about the Stihl AV 20 part you referenced, thanks for that! Is the bearing/seal combo also for the PTO side on the Stihl 020 AV? Unfortunately, Stihl OEM parts lookup is virtually impossible.. they want us to go to a dealer for parts lookup. :(

And yes the OEM piston is listed as NLA here for me. Looks like I will end up seeking your help on that if OEM is the only suitable option there.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excited for for your build later this summer Joe! It was definitely a fun and productive day sifting through jeffs junk pile. It's addictive, I can't stay away from that shelf 'o' saws. Torture to drive by on my way home from work.

Last edited:

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, I was just looking at Partstree and found out the PTO bearing and seal are NLA. I hope both turn out to be good when I take the saw apart. If not I will see about the Stihl AV 20 part you referenced, thanks for that! Is the bearing/seal combo also for the PTO side on the Stihl 020 AV? Unfortunately, Stihl OEM parts lookup is virtually impossible.. they want us to go to a dealer for parts lookup. :(

And yes the OEM piston is listed as NLA here for me. Looks like I will end up seeking your help on that if OEM is the only suitable option there.
partstree stock is'nt accurate.

Top end kit, crank, crankhouse, gasket kit, PTO bearing is NLA worldwide.

PTO seal is not NLA in US, and is not NLA in Norway, Husky Norway had 800+ of them.

Chain protection plate # 503485701 is maybe NLA in US but we got alot of them.

Crankcase Gasket can be made, I've ordered Victor Reinz AFM 37/8 in tickness 0.3mm, with luck I may get the AFM 30 who is the gasket Husky use nowadays.
I heard Victor Reinz sell those fancy 30, 32/2, 33/2, 34, 37 gaskets for OEM makers, 37/8 is for AM.

PTO bearing who is NLA is made by slacker, 543301A, old Husky dealer may have them in their stock, search for those who sold bunches of 44's and 42/42 special.
In worse scenario there is a slacker guy in Germany who sell 543301ES, dunno what the ES is for, but he is extremely pricey, we are speaking about 100$ ++ + shipping .
Stihl av 20 super use integrated seal on their PTO bearing, only difference is that they also has a cut for locking ring, those bearings may also be NLA but you may be surprised what old dealers still got in their stock.

Last time I spoked with Husky Norway they had around 70 pistons in their stock.
I may need some myself, I was allowed to advertise in my main dealer shop for defect 242's :D

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Well, here are the pics. How did I do? If I'm reading the tag right, it's a '94 model?? View attachment 68807 View attachment 68808 View attachment 68809 View attachment 68810
What can I say....Husqvarna 242 xp...Dolmar ps 421 Well ..YEA ! of corse you want them. Looking forward to the build Joe ....Tor (Mr 242 ) is a mine of information :)

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
partstree stock is'nt accurate.

Top end kit, crank, crankhouse, gasket kit, PTO bearing is NLA worldwide.

PTO seal is not NLA in US, and is not NLA in Norway, Husky Norway had 800+ of them.

Chain protection plate # 503485701 is maybe NLA in US but we got alot of them.

Crankcase Gasket can be made, I've ordered Victor Reinz AFM 37/8 in tickness 0.3mm, with luck I may get the AFM 30 who is the gasket Husky use nowadays.
I heard Victor Reinz sell those fancy 30, 32/2, 33/2, 34, 37 gaskets for OEM makers, 37/8 is for AM.

PTO bearing who is NLA is made by slacker, 543301A, old Husky dealer may have them in their stock, search for those who sold bunches of 44's and 42/42 special.
In worse scenario there is a slacker guy in Germany who sell 543301ES, dunno what the ES is for, but he is extremely pricey, we are speaking about 100$ ++ + shipping .
Stihl av 20 super use integrated seal on their PTO bearing, only difference is that they also has a cut for locking ring, those bearings may also be NLA but you may be surprised what old dealers still got in their stock.

Last time I spoked with Husky Norway they had around 70 pistons in their stock.
I may need some myself, I was allowed to advertise in my main dealer shop for defect 242's :D
You sir are a wealth of information!

I'm gonna see if I can find some of that gasket material. I've been unhappy with what's available locally.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sir are a wealth of information!

I'm gonna see if I can find some of that gasket material. I've been unhappy with what's available locally.
thank you for your nice words.

Most of those top notch gasket makers doesnt make gasket under 0.5mm and most Huskies has crankcase gasket on 0.3mm.

Victor Reinz is one of the few who make gasket on 0.3mm.
This is a link to the gasket Husky use on their 5xx serie saws:
http://datenblatt.reinz.de/web1/en/produkte/afm/afm30/technische_details.php?bct=21

Here is a link for the AM gasket we can purchase:
http://datenblatt.reinz.de/web1/en/produkte/afm/afm37_8/technische_details.php?bct=21

Of course it isnt the top notch gasket Husky use, but, 200° C our bearings drop out of the case before the gasket will struggle, and 60 bar is around 870psi, in general AFM 37/8 is more then good enough for our saws, and even it doesnt look to be avaible as 0.3mm it is.

https://victorreinz.us/online-catalog
http://www.victorreinz.com/JSI_Brochure/index_en.html#JSI/page/12-13
https://victorreinz.us/repfinder/usa-canada

Around 30-40 $ for a 1500×500 mm sheet is the price I got in Norway.
Victor Reinz Dana part number is: 70-35153-00

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the process of tearing down the 242 for evaluation and cleaning. The piston is definitely scored I believe from a lean condition but the cylinder seems very salvageable. At first I thought both bearings needed replacing as they felt ratchety. I removed the flywheel side bearing and noticed what appeared to be quite a bit of carbon buildup on the bearing and retainer. I did not remove the PTO side bearing and cleaned that whole case half thoroughly in the parts wash tank. The bearing cleaned up very nicely and after I dropped a dash of premix oil inside the bearing it seems to be pretty good. I think I can get away with reusing the PTO bearing. Truth be told I probably could with the flywheel bearing too but I already removed it so I'll just get it along with a new seal. The PTO bearing is a slacker bearing, part number 543301. So far the cases are both in very good condition and I haven't found any real damage beyond the piston other than a couple of the anti-vibe rubbers have torn from their threaded steel cap. All in all I think I can save the cylinder, then get a new piston, flywheel side bearing and seal, gasket set and rubber mounts and be on my way aside from the usual new fuel line and filter. Does the carb mounting block suffer the same issues as that of the 394?

Here is a pic of progressIMG_20170506_115114180.jpg