Country flag
Around 140 mark unless I can order more it will bring the price down

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this thread. Do any of you know where to get thin rings for the pistons? I have 2 nice thin ring piston but need rings for them... any help would be great.thanks

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
7:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
good luck. they are out there, but not cheap or easy to find.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking out loud it might be possible to find rings relative to size rather than by saw model .Companies like Caber must make a zillion sizes .You might get on Northwood Saw and checkout the generic sizes they offer .From some of my ventures I've found generic sizes for old tractor and stationary engines I could not find by using engine model numbers .One time over 50 years found the rings for a 500 CC Indian motorcycle that were too thick .Had them ran through a surface grinder to take them down to size and never had a problem with them.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 2100 Husky is a 56 MM bore .Two thicknesses I found just by looking on flea bay are 1.5 mm and 1.2 mm Cabers .So if that's correct the thin rings would be 1.2 mm . The Partner p-100 is also 56 MM and I have two new sets of Cabers yet to be installed .I'll mic them in a day or two to see how thick they are .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the thin rings that Roadster is looking for are the .024" tool steel thin rings.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's thin alright . 1.2 mm is .047" and 1.5 mm is .059 " 24 thou would be .6096 MM --psst I've got "convert" on my computer I can't remember that stuff off the top of my head

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did mic the Cabers for the Partner and they are 1,5 MM----.059"

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People might think I'm crazy but you can make rings .However you will never find out how on any chainsaw site .British motor cycle sites are much more informative on things like that and quite honestly more informative on just about anything related to two cycle engines .
When I resleeved the Mac 125 engine I turned about a half a dozen rings out of tool steel and had them about half done before I found the rings from Mike Acres .Believe me the process is a pain in the buttocks involving a number of steps . First of all it's tool steel and anybody who has ever worked with this stuff will tell you it's not all that easy to machine .You have to make a honing sleeve and use lapping compound to get the final finish and they need to be slightly expanded and heat treated .Some place in the process you will need to use a surface grinder to cut the rings to thickness .One machine I do not own .

All that long drawn out thing said if Wiseco makes the piston it's a good chance they make the rings too .It's also a good chance they won't be cheap .

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They are the steel rings. I haven’t measured then in a while but they are somewhere around .7mm or something like that. Not the 1.5 or 1.2 in today’s ring sizes.

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@roadster27 if you get sick of hanging onto those pistons hoping to find rings, I'd be happy to buy them
Thanks for the offer but I’m kinda hoarding all my 2100 stuff. My dad got one when I was around 8. First time I heard that exhaust note I feel in love. I have 5 (2 runners one of which is a real nice hotrod from the 80’s... the rest need thin rings or pistons) and a pile of parts to go with...
Good quality pistons are the hard thing to find out side of the thin rings... I do have one nice 2101 piston. The look just like a 395 but are the right dimensions for a 2100.

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
People might think I'm crazy but you can make rings .However you will never find out how on any chainsaw site .British motor cycle sites are much more informative on things like that and quite honestly more informative on just about anything related to two cycle engines .
When I resleeved the Mac 125 engine I turned about a half a dozen rings out of tool steel and had them about half done before I found the rings from Mike Acres .Believe me the process is a pain in the buttocks involving a number of steps . First of all it's tool steel and anybody who has ever worked with this stuff will tell you it's not all that easy to machine .You have to make a honing sleeve and use lapping compound to get the final finish and they need to be slightly expanded and heat treated .Some place in the process you will need to use a surface grinder to cut the rings to thickness .One machine I do not own .

All that long drawn out thing said if Wiseco makes the piston it's a good chance they make the rings too .It's also a good chance they won't be cheap .
Thanks for the info. I’ll have to look into that. I’ve heard of people surface grinding stock rings but I don’t think they will hold up once that thin... I’ll look into who makes custom rings..