Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess what I mean is does the saw need to be all self contained or could a guy show up with a backpack nitrous tank, nitrogen tank, fuel tank as a self contained thing with a line running to the jet on his intake.

As long as it follows the "rules". The appropriate aftermarket parts, etc......

Anything goes.

twinstaged

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds good. I've gotten so used to hearing that things aren't in "the spirit of the rules" after the fact that I have to question things lol.

bearhawk

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, yesterday was the day. One friend came over yesterday to join me in a little "build party" of our MS660s from the group buy.

For those reading this that didn't participate, the group buy kits look like the FT kits except the little baggies inside the big box all say "Cross" on them. Both saws now run like champs. The only problems we both had were the kill switch finger seemed just a tad short so when you went to full choke the finger would slip past the cam and fall beyond the cam lobe of the switch. The fix was to flatten out the curve of the switch finger and that fixed both. Neither one slipped until we put grease on them. I use lube on things that rub or slide when I put things together so maybe this was my fault. Both also experienced the piston skirt rubbing against the crank weights with the cylinders on. A minute of sanding with 220 grit on the bottom of the skirts took care of it on both. They were just barely rubbing. My cylinder needed a bit of flashing removed around one transfer port but that took more time to get the die grinder out of the toolbox than it did to clean it up. The only other problem on mine was was the fuel line end where it comes out of the fuel tank was misshaped. This meant it was loose at the top of the tank. No problem though because our kit gave us some rubber spares for different things, fuel line was one of those spares. The other saw encountered no other problems.

Since I am in the process of moving I won't be able to compete at the GTG which is a bummer. Because of that I'll share some measurements. We both measured squish without a base gasket and mine came in at .018" and my buddy's was .013". We both used the base gasket and IIRC mine came in at .032" with the gasket and sealer.

Both saws started after around 5-6 pulls and both sounded pretty mean. We didn't get a chance to saw any wood as it was getting late.

Overall, I was very surprised at how nice the parts were. Everything fit together well with the exceptions listed above. I was even surprised that both chain brakes worked like a Stihl. I know this has been a problem for many of the earlier kits but both of ours worked as expected. Lastly, I can tell you an MS660 with a 36" bar is HEAVY. The 20" bar is heavy enough but that 36" one is nose heavy and very.

Thanks Bruce for making this happen and Guru for letting me know about it. It's been fun.

IMG_20170801_212828473[1].jpg

IMG_1288[1].jpg

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihl 36" Light bars are expensive, but reduce "nose heavy" quite a bit. I believe they are the lightest 36" bars out there. My 28" Sugi Light is much heavier than my 28" Stihl Light.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, yesterday was the day. One friend came over yesterday to join me in a little "build party" of our MS660s from the group buy.

For those reading this that didn't participate, the group buy kits look like the FT kits except the little baggies inside the big box all say "Cross" on them. Both saws now run like champs. The only problems we both had were the kill switch finger seemed just a tad short so when you went to full choke the finger would slip past the cam and fall beyond the cam lobe of the switch. The fix was to flatten out the curve of the switch finger and that fixed both. Neither one slipped until we put grease on them. I use lube on things that rub or slide when I put things together so maybe this was my fault. Both also experienced the piston skirt rubbing against the crank weights with the cylinders on. A minute of sanding with 220 grit on the bottom of the skirts took care of it on both. They were just barely rubbing. My cylinder needed a bit of flashing removed around one transfer port but that took more time to get the die grinder out of the toolbox than it did to clean it up. The only other problem on mine was was the fuel line end where it comes out of the fuel tank was misshaped. This meant it was loose at the top of the tank. No problem though because our kit gave us some rubber spares for different things, fuel line was one of those spares. The other saw encountered no other problems.

Since I am in the process of moving I won't be able to compete at the GTG which is a bummer. Because of that I'll share some measurements. We both measured squish without a base gasket and mine came in at .018" and my buddy's was .013". We both used the base gasket and IIRC mine came in at .032" with the gasket and sealer.

Both saws started after around 5-6 pulls and both sounded pretty mean. We didn't get a chance to saw any wood as it was getting late.

Overall, I was very surprised at how nice the parts were. Everything fit together well with the exceptions listed above. I was even surprised that both chain brakes worked like a Stihl. I know this has been a problem for many of the earlier kits but both of ours worked as expected. Lastly, I can tell you an MS660 with a 36" bar is HEAVY. The 20" bar is heavy enough but that 36" one is nose heavy and very.

Thanks Bruce for making this happen and Guru for letting me know about it. It's been fun.

View attachment 81131

View attachment 81132

Thank you sir for an excellent post.