High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

2017 MMWS GTG Box Saw Build Off Rules

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I did not even get my kit yet, but I think (based on other's threads) the rules s/b amended a bit.

I agree that machining the base & or squish band goes in class 2, but if you just sand it to make the squish work, with or w/o a gasket, I think that should be allowed in class one, especially if your port work is just to improve the ports and not to change their timing.

Anyone else have thoughts on this???
I think it was clear that any work to the base or squish is class two or three. Port work is allowed in any class

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree that is what was stated, I just think it should be different.

IMO, cutting the base & squish band to achieve different port timing and max compression is totally different than doing some sanding so that your piston will have proper clearance.

Any person can put a piece of sand paper on a flat surface, you don't need a lathe. I just see the two different things as worlds apart.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not even get my kit yet, but I think (based on other's threads) the rules s/b amended a bit.

I agree that machining the base & or squish band goes in class 2, but if you just sand it to make the squish work, with or w/o a gasket, I think that should be allowed in class one, especially if your port work is just to improve the ports and not to change their timing.

Anyone else have thoughts on this???
I think class 1 squish adjustments are intended to be gasket options / delete.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Example: My Cross MMWS I put on the 066 gave me .020 w/o gasket, perfect.

If it were .030 (through no fault of my own) I would want the option of sanding the base, or deleting the gasket and sanding the squish band, w/o being penalized for doing so. I see some who planned to be in class 1 falling into this dilemma.

Just my opinion on it, for whatever it is worth. (And since I don't even have my kit yet, I think my opinion is objective).

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My desired squish could have just as easily been achieved by cutting a beer can gasket. I was at .016" w/no gasket, .032 with hyway gasket.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think class 1 squish adjustments are intended to be gasket options / delete.

You are correct, but I think the intent was to separate homeowners from machinists, and I don't think owning a piece of sand paper makes you a machinist. The allowable sanding would only be to get the squish correct, nothing more.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are correct, but I think the intent was to separate homeowners from machinists, and I don't think owning a piece of sand paper makes you a machinist. The allowable sanding would only be to get the squish correct, nothing more.
Doesn't matter how you achieve it. TM doesn't cut squish on a lathe. So can he run in class one?

No cutting of squish or base in class 1. If you want .020 squish then make a gasket. That's the rules

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how you achieve it. TM doesn't cut squish on a lathe. So can he run in class one?

No cutting of squish or base in class 1. If you want .020 squish then make a gasket. That's the rules
I agree. I think the three classes are broke up very well. Class one no work to the squish or base period. That's why I'm going class two. I don't even own a lathe but a may know one or two guys that do. I'm sure I'll get spanked in this class but I want to learn how to grind more and I can't think of a better opportunity to do so. This is not some world championship or anything so who gives a damn really lol

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On one hand I agree, raising the squish simply for adequate clearance isn't really a performance enhancement if you can't cut the base.
But there is the option of running the gasket (or a thicker gasket) so it's not a requirement to running the saw.

Stuff like this could be the camels nose under the tent...

'Cause on the other hand there were some comments early on that in the interest of keeping things uncomplicated, 'luck of the draw' would likely have to be an acceptable factor, particularly in class 1.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are so many ways the rules could be written. So many variables. Just go with them. If you want to cut base or squish, go class 2. It's about the fun of the build. Only one guy can win each class...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like to think of class one as a luck of the draw and all about fun kinda thing. Some of us are going to get better cylinders than others. One guy might get a great jug but a crap carb that runs, but not the best. I don't even know that I will port mine now. I like many others just threw mine together as is. My squish without gasket was .012 - .013, wasn't a big deal to make a .010 gasket. With sealant on both sides ended up right around .025, might be a little close for the crappy crank I got with my kit, time will tell.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ruling please:
class three - is it legal to have a stroker crank built using a rod from the OEM 084 skeletonized crank?

That would probably qualify for the Tennessee beating when torn down... [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk