2013 vw jetta ac not working

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for some help. This isnt my car but a friends of my wife.
She baught this car last year and the ac worked great all last summer. This year it wont blow cold air.
First off i though maybe low on the cooling freon or what ever it called. I hooked up a bottle and was gonna fill but noticed the compressor sounded like not working. Had my son turn on and off a couple times while i listened but cant here the compressor kick in. I cant find a fuse map so tested them all inside car and under hood. All good.
Im thinking maybe a relay or presure switch of some sort? Any help appreciated. Maybe someone could walk me through a few more tests.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
9:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the refrigerant charge is low, the pressure switch will inhibit the A/C compressor clutch. Same if pressure is high.
Typically.
Fahrvergnugen may do it differently however. V-dub does some weird chit.

@Steve will have an answer I bet.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did try to add some to see if it would engage the compressor but no change. It didnt really seem like it wanted to take any? The guage did read a little low. Cant recal the exact number off hand.

I was just thinking back when i had my cavalier when it got low. Soon as you turned on ac the compressor would come on for a second then kick out. Soon as i opened bottle to fill it the compressor stayed on.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does sound like a comon problem with the ac sylinoids from what i have read on interweb but i dont wanna play parts darts.

Last edited:

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The compressor needs to be running to add freon. Try jumping the pressure switch to see if the compressor clutch locks up and starts it spinning. You could also run 12v directly to the compressor clutch to turn it on

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does sound like a comon problem with the ac sylinoids from what i have read on interweb but i dont wanna play parts.

Yes, that is common on those. That compressor does not have a clutch. Its is variable displacement. That solenoid controls piston stroke. I havent had one this year yet but they are pretty simple to replace. You do need to recover the system prior to replacing it. I know you probably dont want to hear this but your best bet is to take it to a compentent shop and have them run a few test. As Ed said, low or high refrigerant charge can cause the ac to be inop. Newer vehicles dont hold a lot, usually under a pound. It doesn't take much above or below spec charge to make the system not work. Volkswagen also uses a few more sensors but i have not seen anything other than leaks or the solenoid go bad. There is a screen in the solenoid valve. If there is any metal in there the compressor needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The compressor needs to be running to add freon. Try jumping the pressure switch to see if the compressor clutch locks up and starts it spinning. You could also run 12v directly to the compressor clutch to turn it on

NO! Do not start jumping things on this car. You can do lots of expensive damage very fast. There is no clutch to engauge. There are no switches on this system. Only 5v reference sensors

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen alot of bad radiator fans in those too. If it has a code set for the radiator fan the ac wont work. You can have codes set without a check engine light. Check engine light is only for emission failures. The radiator fan is not an emission failure.

The compressor can be locked up too. Do you see any rubber bits scattered around the pulley?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may be required to wear lederhosen to properly diagnose this issue.
Are you prepared to do that?

:D

Sup Ed! You got a pair in your box from working on all those Opels?

I can see you wearing them while jaming to K-pop fixing oil leaks on Daewoos!!!:D

Seriously though, dont drive down here and kick my azz!:oops:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, that is common on those. That compressor does not have a clutch. Its is variable displacement. That solenoid controls piston stroke. I havent had one this year yet but they are pretty simple to replace. You do need to recover the system prior to replacing it. I know you probably dont want to hear this but your best bet is to take it to a compentent shop and have them run a few test. As Ed said, low or high refrigerant charge can cause the ac to be inop. Newer vehicles dont hold a lot, usually under a pound. It doesn't take much above or below spec charge to make the system not work. Volkswagen also uses a few more sensors but i have not seen anything other than leaks or the solenoid go bad. There is a screen in the solenoid valve. If there is any metal in there the compressor needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps!
I told her yesterday she would probly.be better to take it in for a diognostics as i dont wanna play a guessing game with it on her dime.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen alot of bad radiator fans in those too. If it has a code set for the radiator fan the ac wont work. You can have codes set without a check engine light. Check engine light is only for emission failures. The radiator fan is not an emission failure.

The compressor can be locked up too. Do you see any rubber bits scattered around the pulley?
No dont see no rubber chuncks.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you think that the problem is most likely that sylinoid? That was my thinking but i hate guessing. Would like to know for sure.

It could be but without a scope to check waveform you would just guessing.