200t use on ground

Martin

The new boy
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just talking to a friend who is a tree surgeon and he has been using a 200t on the ground, I thought a few years ago some one said that there was some law or something that they couldn't use them on ground and only when climbing and big fine invloved.
Does anyone have any information if this is true or not and details.
Thanks

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I remembered hearing something about that. Couldn't tell ya one way or another though

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just talking to a friend who is a tree surgeon and he has been using a 200t on the ground, I thought a few years ago some one said that there was some law or something that they couldn't use them on ground and only when climbing and big fine invloved.
Does anyone have any information if this is true or not and details.
Thanks
Well you are in the UK so I don't know your laws. That saw was made for tree climbing and it can be used with one hand easily because of the top handle and the balance it gives as a result of this. So since the saw can be used with one hand easily it begs you do do this and people do it! That creates a real danger in the case of kickback one hand does not offer good control to stop it and your free hand could be in the way or any part of your body. Short story keep two hands on the damn saw. For what it worth there are better limbing saws I highly recommend a Stihl MS 241 C for that it is better then a 200T on the ground.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the temptation is also due to the weight, that and the fact that some tree surgeons may be tempted to cut costs by not buying a dedicated limbing saw.

You're right about the UK, get caught doing this in the UK and prepare yourself to be shut down with a hefty fine

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow!!!!

A fine????

Some real control freaks in this world, is anyone allowed to pack their own parachute anymore???

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good thing I have a ms150!!!

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I normally throw around an ms180 on the ground, cheap as hell and lightweight got small limbing, and I can pick up a basket case saw with a good top end for £40

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fines or not, I think it's good practice not to use them on the ground. I agree with the "packing your own parachute" notion as well, but where I'd be concerned is with younger fresher ground guys working for a commercial operation. They see an arborist or someone more experienced using a top handle on the ground one handed, next thing you know, they think it's safe. Obviously the responsibility lies with the kid to understand what tool he's using and why it's dangerous, and also with the more experienced guy to warn people who might see his actions as an example, but that won't happen all the time.