2 pump hydraulic system help

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know this may seem fairly simple, but if I run 2, two stage pumps on my logsplitter. Can I just tee the pump outputs into the valve input? Will in need to add check valves between pump and tee to prevent one pump pumping oil backwards threw the second pump when only one is running say on start up.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of making some upgrades to my splitter. 36”x4.5” ram. New wedge design for interchangeable 4 way or 6 way wedges to slip on. I want to go with a 22gpm pump. The engine I would need will push me into the 16hp range. There is nothing wrong with my current 5hp 11gpm 2stage set up now. It will be much cheaper to purchase a second 5-6.5hp engine and 11gpm pump. I just want to make sure it will work in tandem and not fight each other.

Btw I will plumb in two separate intakes for the pumps from the tank.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would probably work but you might have to put check valves in the pump discharge lines . You might try a Google and see if they have a diagram

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a matter of interest in "old school" types of hydraulics on massive automotive production line types of stuff they often used multiple pumps feeding a common line .These could be huge with 50 or so HP electric motors and 2" pressure lines . You talk about moving oil in a hurry .Those types have just about all been replaced with computerized electric servo motors .

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am interested in this aswell. How did it work out for you guys?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. You could even set the kickdown pressures at different points to have 3 stages, to keep your speed up a bit. The only problem I see with running one motor at a time is the high pressure oil will try to turn the other one backwards and will destroy your starter and flood the motor. Just run both and you can run one at 1/3 throttle just to keep it happy when you don’t need high flow.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well check valves are only $25ish so it’s relatively cheap to add into the system. I could even get just one and make sure I start the engine without the check valve, first.

Now I have to see if my hydro tank is big enough.
And add a second suction mounted in the tank.
And get a return filter and scrap the suction filter.
And get the engine.
And get the pump
And do all the fab and hard ware that goes with it.

Did I mention I’m starting to build my own house, have a one year old at home, and working 50+ hours a week. Yeah I have a ton of spare time.