Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No not sure what sprocket is either but that isn't a problem at all.

Pull the cover and run either chain on it, you should be able to tell real quick., if it's the wrong chain it won't set down on it right.
I like to run those with a 325x18 for the reach when limbing or bucking up smaller stuff, but I'm not a big fan of 325. I want to get a 3/8 picco x18" setup in small mount for my little husky, I really like that chain on all my little stills, stihl got it right on them.
@Icepick69 has one, but I'm cheap, and he has high quality stuff :).

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have several loops of 66dl

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also have a nice old total 18" in 325.
I am not going to go to 3/8 picco on anything.
I just don't want to shell out for bars and chains.
I have seen vids on how quick it is but I cut a lot of dirty wood

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also have a nice old total 18" in 325.
I am not going to go to 3/8 picco on anything.
I just don't want to shell out for bars and chains.
I have seen vids on how quick it is but I cut a lot of dirty wood

The total would be a good one for limbing. I have a 16x3/8 I run on my 254/555 for bucking medium sized logs up, it's a lot of fun. I would say the 16" in 3/8 SC would be a good if you do a lot of dirty wood. I get a good amount of logs and don't cut in the woods as much as I used to, so I have bunch of 70cc saws and have sold a lot of my 50cc saws.
I know the feeling on the cash part all to well, as I said I'm cheap. I have a 241 with a 16" a 201 rear handle with a 14", 200 rear handle with a 14", and a 192t with a 14"(prefer a 12", but the extra reach is nice), and they all have the picco on them. But I have so many 325 chains it's a shame to not use them, but I'll never run out and get to buy picco chain. I'd gladly buy the picco over 325, but I haven't paid for a chain in many yrs as I get plenty with the saws I buy and sell, just not as many of the picco :(. Even cutting dirty wood I run picco, I just use a lot of bore cuts to avoid pulling dirt thru the cut and I don't have much problem keeping chains sharp. I'm very impressed with how long it holds and edge for such a small cutter.
Here's the 254 I've been having a lot of fun running lately doing a bore cut in a dirty piece of wood. We were talking about it in another forum so I did a quick video. There was a bunch of mud caked into the bark on the top side so this is how I dealt with it.

Last edited:

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The total would be a good one for limbing. I have a 16x3/8 I run on my 254/555 for bucking medium sized logs up, it's a lot of fun. I would say the 16" in 3/8 SC would be a good if you do a lot of dirty wood. I get a good amount of logs and don't cut in the woods as much as I used to, so I have bunch of 70cc saws and have sold a lot of my 50cc saws.
I know the feeling on the cash part all to well, as I said I'm cheap. I have a 241 with a 16" a 201 rear handle with a 14", 200 rear handle with a 14", and a 192t with a 14"(prefer a 12", but the extra reach is nice), and they all have the picco on them. But I have so many 325 chains it's a shame to not use them, but I'll never run out and get to buy picco chain. I'd gladly buy the picco over 325, but I haven't paid for a chain in many yrs as I get plenty with the saws I buy and sell, just not as many of the picco :(. Even cutting dirty wood I run picco, I just use a lot of bore cuts to avoid pulling dirt thru the cut and I don't have much problem keeping chains sharp. I'm very impressed with how long it holds and edge for such a small cutter.
Here's the 254 I've been having a lot of fun running lately doing a bore cut in a dirty piece of wood. We were talking about it in another forum so I did a quick video. There was a bunch of mud caked into the ark on the top side so this is how I dealt with it.
great video and technique that is what my dad always taught me to do.

wrap that thumb, tough habit to break but is a good safety technique

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning,
Give us a call 828-676-2393. We should have that bar in stock.
Thank you

I called and was helped by a very nice lady.
Walked me through process and it turns out 16" cannon is 69dl ???
I have a bunch of loops of 66 DL already. Thanks for try.
Cannons are maybe out of what I really want to spend.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
great video and technique that is what my dad always taught me to do.

wrap that thumb, tough habit to break but is a good safety technique
Thanks David.
Can you share with me the safety behind it. I most always try to hold the front handle loosely. I find that my get thumbs get sore/jammed up quite easily. I figure it has something to do with all the motorcycle riding as well as 20yrs as a truck driver.
I am open to changing though as I'm wanting to learn more, just had to teach myself through reading, watching videos, and crews working. Not to tough to break, just need to choose to do it :).
Thanks again,
Brett

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the 254 I've been having a lot of fun running lately doing a bore cut in a dirty piece of wood. We were talking about it in another forum so I did a quick video. There was a bunch of mud caked into the bark on the top side so this is how I dealt with it.

I have a 346xp, currently set up with an 18inch bar, .325 and .050. I want to drop down to a 16 inch bar and was going to go with .325 and .058. you think I'd be better off with 3/8 and the .058, and would I have to convert my pin. I believe the stock 7 pin is on there currently. I didn't think most guys wanted to go with 3/8s on 50cc saws, thought it robbed a bit of the power?

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am wanting to stay with narrow kerf 325 .050 because I like the way it cuts on my 545 and I trade for chain loops and have several.
Husky 187
if you are looking for .325 .058 I have a bar and a loop brand new someplace I would make you a deal on.
I think it is a Carlton tiger laminated bar.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 346xp, currently set up with an 18inch bar, .325 and .050. I want to drop down to a 16 inch bar and was going to go with .325 and .058. you think I'd be better off with 3/8 and the .058, and would I have to convert my pin. I believe the stock 7 pin is on there currently. I didn't think most guys wanted to go with 3/8s on 50cc saws, thought it robbed a bit of the power?
There are many different reasons to either stick with the 325, or switch to 3/8.
I believe the 3/8 stays sharper longer over 325. I also only run 325 on a few saws and they are saws that I have up for sale, but I would rather have either 3/8 or picco if I had a choice. The truth is I have a bunch of 325 and will run it if a saw is currently set up for it rather than paying for the others unless I have 3/8 parts to set up a saw without spending any cash.
The above are some of the reasons I am doing what I currently am, and what I would rather do.
In order to give much advice I would first ask why your wanting to switch to a 16" bar in the first place, and what the primary use of the saw is, do you have other saws, what type of wood you are cutting. Those questions get you started in the right direction of what would be "right" for you.
I know many guys who run only 3/8 so they can have all the same files and chains will interchange between different saws/crews.
I also run a lot of 050 chain because of the ability to switch it out between different brand saws that you won't get if you run 058 or 063.
Hope this helps.