High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

12 degrees outside but...

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
With this rolling it's 71 degrees in my house.
I love burning coal. The price has went up pretty high around here. The last time I bought it was around $200 a ton. If I can get my hands on wood for free I'll burn that. Right now I have 4 cords of oak. You just can't beat the efficiency of coal though.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
18* here. 71* in the house. I heat with wood.

I've never burned coal but have lived in some old houses that were initially set up to burn coal.
I've considered using it in my stove but I've got 160 acres of hardwood and can't justify paying for coal, when I have an almost unlimited supply of wood.
Does it burn longer and hotter than wood?
How many cords of wood does a ton of coal equate to?
I'd like to burn some, just to see what it's like.

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I've never burned coal but have lived in some old houses that were initially set up to burn coal.
I've considered using it in my stove but I've got 160 acres of hardwood and can't justify paying for coal, when I have an almost unlimited supply of wood.
It's definitely a learning experience to burning coal. It's nice because you can get longer burn times plus the stack temp is very low. It's a slow efficient burn and no creosote build up. There's lots of ash though. when its this cold out I would burn about 60 lbs in 24 hours. 2200 sq ft.

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I can't remember the btu output of anthracite but I will use about 4-5 cords of wood as opposed to two tons of coal.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember the btu output of anthracite but I will use about 4-5 cords of wood as opposed to two tons of coal.
Damn, that's a lot more efficient than wood. For $200, that's pretty much a no brainer, at least for me.
So............what type of chain, semi or full chisel, is best for cutting coal.

pa-aaronq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Damn, that's a lot more efficient than wood. For $200, that's pretty much a no brainer, at least for me.
So............what type of chain, semi or full chisel, is best for cutting coal.
Actually there are lots of people around here that will cut and sell the firewood from there land and then buy coal to burn. As efficient as the newer wood stoves are it make coal less appealing in my mind.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We burned coal in the old farm house I grew up in. We had a wood/coal stove in the living room and a Warm Morning upright coal stove in the kitchen. It was a 2800 sq ft farm house with no insulation. I miss the smell a little, but don't miss the mess. We burned block coal we would get straight from the mines in east TN. The. My dad found about 100 tons in a school they shut down. They gave us the stoker coal, but we had to carry it out in 5 gallon buckets! It was in the boiler room and had been dumped down a coal chute Now everything is auger mined so block coal is almost a thing of the past.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can still get house coal here. Couple small tipples still in business. Burned coal in the farm house when I was a kid. Had to fill the stoker every morning. There's several spots on this place where they mined the outcrop veins.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a Rayburn that is made to run on "Anthracite Coal" ..I run it on wood when i can as its posable and cheeper than £380.00 a ton)..but on coal it really comes into its own. Very even control with the oven temp (slumbers at 300 c ..wood is a bit more peaky) and it picks up given air to 400 + in 1/2 hr. Fueled morning and evening is all it needs and the ash pan emptied once a week on average. Grey dust is all i get from the flue as its more or less smoke free and has the blue flame as in the OP's pic.
Its the main heat for the house along with cooking and clothes drying in winter but i do have wood stoves in the house to for when the colder times come.
Photo0974.jpg

Last edited:

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's definitely a learning experience to burning coal. It's nice because you can get longer burn times plus the stack temp is very low. It's a slow efficient burn and no creosote build up. There's lots of ash though. when its this cold out I would burn about 60 lbs in 24 hours. 2200 sq ft.
Agree 100%. On a 20 plus degree day I only tend the stove b4 work and b4 bed. Only downside is ash. I roll the 3'x3' bags in the basement on a skid so there really is no mess.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always wanted to try coal, but at $180/ ton I couldn't justify it. I haven't paid for wood, well there was that $1 permit that equaled 16 cord...