08 15 H.P. mercury fourstroke cold bog.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a boat motor im working on for a guy at work. He just baught it as is deal.
He told me he fired it up and went to give it gas and it just dies.
I get it home hook it up to muffs. Let it warm up for five mins or so as i would mine own. Go to give ot gas and works perfect.
Next day deside to fire up and WOT after five seconds of idle (i normally would never do this) and yes it dies. I deside ill pull carb clean for pease of mind to have to het a 150 dollar carb kit.
Get baxk to geather and fire up and WOT after few seconds of idle and still dies.
Refire let worm up few mins and runs perfect.
Guess i got to tell him he just has to let it worm up a few mins befor he takes off.

What you guys think? Is this ok?
Iv got the same motor but 8 H.P. and never a problem but i also let mine worm up. Im not gonna test mine cold WOT either to find out.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does the fuel inlet line lose prime after sitting a while? Possibly....

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say because it is a four stroke.

I have been chasing fuel line issues on a 2012 40HP EFI engine at work. The motor had been sitting for a couple years and I got it transfered to me. It would idle fine, butwould not take fuel. I finally took it to a marine tech that does work on our boats and he cleaned the fuel system, water tested it, and called me to say it was ready. On the way home, I got a call about a dead deer (EHD) and decided to go pull a sample. The boat got on plane and then died. It idled fine, but wouldn't run WOT. Took it back and he tried to blow the lines out and couldnt. He put a vacuum pump on it and a large piece of rubber came out. He replaced all rubber lines, cleaned the vapor tank, and she seems to be running good finally.

Long story short, it may be some fuel line issues if it has been sitting. You should see the 06 40HP 4 stroke I got for parts. The filter is stopped up solid with deteriorated rubber.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say because it is a four stroke.

I have been chasing fuel line issues on a 2012 40HP EFI engine at work. The motor had been sitting for a couple years and I got it transfered to me. It would idle fine, butwould not take fuel. I finally took it to a marine tech that does work on our boats and he cleaned the fuel system, water tested it, and called me to say it was ready. On the way home, I got a call about a dead deer (EHD) and decided to go pull a sample. The boat got on plane and then died. It idled fine, but wouldn't run WOT. Took it back and he tried to blow the lines out and couldnt. He put a vacuum pump on it and a large piece of rubber came out. He replaced all rubber lines, cleaned the vapor tank, and she seems to be running good finally.

Long story short, it may be some fuel line issues if it has been sitting. You should see the 06 40HP 4 stroke I got for parts. The filter is stopped up solid with deteriorated rubber.
I thought about fuel line too on the motor side. Once warmed up the throttle responds normal. I never water tested it. Im almost an hour to the nearest free boat launch.
I knoq its not.good to do out of water but i pit it WOT for five second in neutral and ran fine. It was bouncing off rev limiter.
Think i will tell him to try it bit just let it warm up a few mins.

Also when its cold. If you just roll throttle on easy ( normal to me) it dont try to stall.

Another thing i was wondering about is it has an excellerator pump too. I cleaned it. The carb kit never had the parts to rebuild that.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What kind of mix screws does it have?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8d46417520569f4d26b0a3e92b212c72.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If the piston O-ring on the accelerator pump is worn, mush or otherwise that would be the problem IMO.

My 200T is doing the same wonky *s-word again. Either the pump O-ring or the drive side case seal. The boot is good. I'm betting on the OEM carb, again and again and again...020 is the cure or gorilla snot.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the piston O-ring on the accelerator pump is worn, mush or otherwise that would be the problem IMO.

My 200T is doing the same wonky *s-word again. Either the pump O-ring or the drive side case seal. The boot is good. I'm betting on the OEM carb, again and again and again...020 is the cure or gorilla snot.
Why would it run normal after it runs for a few mins? Its just when its cold.
I just dont wanna play parts darts with someone elses motor.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The first place to get *s-wordted up is the HS seat or the pump nozzle or the pump anti-siphon pin/ball. They handle the most volume of fuel. We all know 2smoke boat gas aka: black death, is just that.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When motors warm most times it just covers up the dead spot. Does it bog at all in gear hot when you nail it? Only a water test will tell you that as you already know.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When motors warm most times it just covers up the dead spot. Does it bog at all in gear hot when you nail it? Only a water test will tell you that as you already know.
Havnt water tested it. After warmed up it has no hesitation in gear when you nail it.
Mabe tomorrow ill clean out a garbage pail and fill it so i can load test it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you see the fuel shot down the carb venturie when you crank open the throttle? It usually squirts in a spot you can see from the carb intake. What does your air intake hosing look like I have no idea. You need to be able to see down the carb throat.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you see the fuel shot down the carb venturie when you crank open the throttle? It usually squirts in a spot you can see from the carb intake. What does your air intake hosing look like I have no idea. You need to be able to see down the carb throat.
Cant see down carb at all.
Was thinking about another set of plugs. That never hurts anyhow.