066 connecting rod light bluing

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even if you wanted to I can't think of any method a home shop could press a crankshaft apart .The things are a heat shrink fit,I mean tight as the bark on a tree ..Cahoon remarked about trying it on a 50 ton press ,no dice .Some how Falicon in Florida does on those Husky 3120 stroker cranks .All I can think of is a darn fast induction heater already chucked up in a heavy press that would have to be fast also .It's beyond my pay grade for sure .

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No way I would even attempt it. Gonna take some serious tools and equipment

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well the saw has been up and running for several days and runs like a raped ape. Here is a picture of it on my mill for some serious testing, oh! and the end product.millled wood taable (3).JPG ms660 milling.jpg
100640-4ed6e9cf0bc05db7ce2163eef5e2fa3b.jpg
100641-c9a802be0b91b74b3661228acda46425.jpg

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Even if you wanted to I can't think of any method a home shop could press a crankshaft apart .The things are a heat shrink fit,I mean tight as the bark on a tree ..Cahoon remarked about trying it on a 50 ton press ,no dice .Some how Falicon in Florida does on those Husky 3120 stroker cranks .All I can think of is a darn fast induction heater already chucked up in a heavy press that would have to be fast also .It's beyond my pay grade for sure .

If I roach one I’d like to try it. We often press bearings that run 0.003” per inch of diameter interference fit, and sometimes if you freeze one side in CO2 for a while and heat the other up so a 135* temp pen just melts on it you can get them to fall in. I wouldn’t be surprised if a crank was similar. Problem would be in getting the phasing correct.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again from years of being around induction heaters used in the automotive industry they can often "run the colors" during the process .I think people make too much of it .
Although I'm not certain but would imagine the rod end would be induction hardened ,then "micro finished " during the process of making it and easily run the colors .
Now think about it .On a 2 cycle with needle bearings even if you straight gassed it the likely hood of running the temperature hot enough to heat the rod end hot enough is highly remote .The piston would seize long before that happened .

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
have to agree, more that one lower end has been blued that I have seen. The bearing looked great and zero play, thanks for the answer.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little more info .Through the years in the production of automobile engines the methods have changed .Now days for example the connecting rods use pressure cracked crank ends and bushed piston pin ends .About 12-15 years ago it was machined crank ends and induction heated pin ends where the heat shrink pin ends held the piston captive .However if you tore down an old Chevy 350 because it had been covered with oil for so many years you could not find the color run.I might have a new rod in my collection of junk in one of my 15 tool boxes I just hauled home from retiring Aug 1 of this year .If I do and it was a reject the color run will still be visable and I'll get a picture of it . Reject rods were never reused on Ford engines which is why I might have one .They make a neat little mandrel for forming sheet metal .