High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

044 project

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
They look pretty damn good to be honest. Anyway it will all be covered in bar oil and sawdust soon...
Next time I do it, I'm not gonna do the rub down after the first 3 top coats. Even after 3 or so days drying, there was still a little bit of unevaporated solvent I think, which messed stuff up a tad. (I found that the 4th coat, dried very slightly wrinkly in places).

So next I do this (prob the 036 rebuild whenever that happens), I'll do:

1. the etch primer
  2. rub down after 24 hours
  3. then 4 or 5 very light tractor paint top coats, probably 0.5 - 1 hour dry time between each
Anyway thanks for giving me a head start on the technique!

:)

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Help! Guys I'm requesting some technical guidance, which way do I drive in the new bearings? So the original bearings had were "shielded" on the inboard side. Which I guess makes for a reasonable reference for driving them in correctly. The new ones, which are the Stihl OEM parts, don't, since apparently stihl stopped using that particular design for some reason. So I spent a while comparing old and new and having a bit of a think, and I *think* I know which side, but I could really use a bit of help/confirmation/whatever from you all. So the PTO side first, this is how I think I should drive in the new one:

outputside2.jpg
That is, with the arrow marked cage thing facing inboard - i.e. at the crank wheels. Is that the correct orientation?

Now the ignition side, again I'm guessing that the cage thing on the bearing, should be inward facing?

2017-09-17 15.28.17.jpg
Just for reference here is the other side of the new bearings, I *assuming* that this is the side which is meant to be facing outwards:

2017-09-17 15.29.33.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Are you using heat to assemble this case? If so as CFB said process with the the pump in place. Remove the rubber bits or you may melt them. Fine line if you choose to walk it. I have others results may vary.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you using heat to assemble this case? If so as CFB said process with the the pump in place. Remove the rubber bits or you may melt them. Fine line if you choose to walk it. I have others results may vary.

100 degrees C in the oven. Bearings in the feezer too.. should push in easily then. Well they have before in the past for me. Not sure what Fahrenheit that works out as for these yanks [emoji631][emoji3]

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes mate, I was going to use that method. Thanks for the warning!
:thumbup:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
100 degrees C in the oven. Bearings in the feezer too.. should push in easily then. Well they have before in the past for me. Not sure what Fahrenheit that works out as for these yanks [emoji631][emoji3]
Seriously? What do you just push 'em straight in with thumb pressure?

I get nervous with that method....you know....that the bearing outers will warm up too much too fast and kinda get jammed halfway....but I'm sure you've probably realised that I worry too much!!!

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seriously? What do you just push 'em straight in with thumb pressure?

I get nervous with that method....you know....that the bearing outers will warm up too much too fast and kinda get jammed halfway....but I'm sure you've probably realised that I worry too much!!!

No harder than pushing in a tough crank seal.. I feel your pain I put them in the freezer in a zip lock bag as I was worried if moisture control. Lol

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use a hydraulic press to install bearings, but use the oil pump as a stop on the clutch side. Also, make sure the saw is well supported using 2x4s. Be careful and don't put too much pressure. Also watch and don't keep cranking on it once the bearing is seated.
On the flywheel side, I place a 2x4 under the center where the bearing goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sweating just thinking about it.
but as most peeps say if done right, bearings in freezer (longtime) and cases in oven or heat gun they should drop right in. There were a few vids on you tube I have seen.. One guy use his wood stove to heat the cases
But just make sure every thing is clean and ready.
Btw. I'd offer them up while all is at room temp just to get the feel (a dry run so to speak) and have all the tools you may need, ie. Sockets to use as a drift etc just incase ;):)

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I finally have those bearings in! Was much more stressful than doing ms200 ones (the only other saw bearings I've done).

I made a real mess of those on ignition side, I was kinda stressed at the time (just back from my work commute, my kids acting like fools around house, usual domestic bliss !! etc. etc.), and when I was tapping the bearing in it started to go in on the pi$$. Instead of just straightening it back, and continuing the tapping, I put more gas flame on the cases, yes the new bearings have a f**king plastic cage....which got scorched. And of the course the "nice paint job"..... hmmm....not quite so nice now!!! :loco:

Nevermind. Well I decided that having the scorched bearings placcy cage crack up one day, whilst possibly unlikely, could be pretty dire. So I ended up knocking out the messed-up one, and with the application of slightly more ZEN this time, I got another one in ok, yesterday. And now I'm doing a (loud cough in the background) "minor touch up" on the ol' paint job..... :(

This morning I got the output side bearing in, it was a bit easier.....but I still wouldn't describe it as being fun. The bearings were the proper OEM ones, but they definitely don't "drop straight in", well not for me for this 044!

Technique I used, was to play the gas torch flame around the casings mouth for about a minute or so, then the bearing quickly and push it in very slightly by hand to get it in the lead-in, then gently even taps around the outer race to try to get it down squarely. Then I put a socket that bears on the outer race and finished the job off.

Anyway I'm just hoping that I haven't wrecked anything too bad..

later dudes

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is how I did the 038's today. Put the case halves on top of the smallest gas hob for 30 seconds and bearings in the freezer over night. After your issues that I oh so recommended I thought I would test this way. pto side fell straight in. Flywheel side needed the clamp in the image, chainsaw bar as a back plate and a socket. Tiny taps to the socket with a hammer to shock it and it slid in nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 38

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Adamski nice to hear that it all went well,
In my post earlier, I forgot to say the guy with the cases on the woodstove had an ir thermometer, and I defo don't remember the temp..

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Adamski nice to hear that it all went well,
In my post earlier, I forgot to say the guy with the cases on the woodstove had an ir thermometer, and I defo don't remember the temp..

I went for the droplet of water evaporating off the case halve quickly as an indicator that it was ready [emoji23]

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is how I did the 038's today. Put the case halves on top of the smallest gas hob for 30 seconds and bearings in the freezer over night. After your issues that I oh so recommended I thought I would test this way. pto side fell straight in. Flywheel side needed the clamp in the image, chainsaw bar as a back plate and a socket. Tiny taps to the socket with a hammer to shock it and it slid in nicely.
I think the 044 bearings were genuinely very tight in the cases. The 200Ts ones I did some months back went in with a single tap I think. But these took a lot of whacking in.

Anyway, for me the moral of the story.......do all the bearing work first....then paint the cases! :risas3:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyway, for me the moral of the story.......do all the bearing work first....then paint the cases! :risas3:

This is the direction I am going too. Just gonna tape off the bearings.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Get the case hot enough and they will literally fall into place.
How long do you keep your flame on the cases then Brad. I had played the propane torch on my 044s for just over a minute......they would not fall into place. At first I pressed them down using thumb pressure, but only by a couple mil. I had to hammer them down the rest.