High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

044 project

wyksta

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ha! Indeed.....personally I'd rather take the carbon anyway. I know you got carbon sucked back into yours, Wes, but when I got my 044 the top end had lean abuse written all over it. There's a couple of pics on the first few pages of thread, if I recall.

I think most of it was caused due to running rich and having that ridiculous dual baffled muffler. Sooner or later with that set up, carbon is going to break off and go back towards the exhaust. But, hey, I'm just speculating.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I managed to pick up a new genuine walbro hd-16 carb from Germany ( @MustangMike ) for less than half the price of my fave Brit supplier. Not sure whether it made any difference! Here it is demolishing birch. Once the chain/bar were solidly biting I was pushing down hard on WOT. I know Brad thinks I'm a pansy for worrying about high RPMs (lol) but I'm generally trying to run it reasonably rich.

I found that the L speed tuning is still horrid even with the new HD. I'm gonna double check it for leaks at some stage...and if it's cool in that department...then I'm going cross my rubicon, and shock horror, possibly advance the timing (probably only by 0.010")

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first sound a bit lean to me and the second sounds good.

Not that I have a goo ear for it.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The first sound a bit lean to me and the second sounds good.

Not that I have a goo ear for it.
I'm reckoning that even on the first clip, you can make out a four-stroke burble trying to blurt out when the load goes down and as I come off pressure slightly at the cut's ends. Well this guy's ( @blsnelling ) ears are definitely more sensitive than mine!

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm reckoning that even on the first clip, you can make out a four-stroke burble trying to blurt out when the load goes down and as I come off pressure slightly at the cut's ends. Well this guy's ( @blsnelling ) ears are definitely more sensitive than mine!
Your first vid is close if not identical to where I run my modded Stihls including my hybrids, your second vid the saw is definitely fatter than any I run, there is a distinct crackle I can hear when a saw is over fat. Not that my opinion matters but I wouldn`t do anything to my own saws to harm them or tell others to harm theirs.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I quite like the tune in both vids. But the second vid's tune is probably better for bigger harder wood. That birch was disappointingly soft :(

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is a quick update on my (first!!) 044 hybrid. Eventually I succumbed to all the "pressure" (lol) and tried advancing the ignition timing. My primary motivation was actually to see it smoothed the idle somewhat (longer time needed to burn wetter idling mixture etc. etc.). At first I did 2.5* advance, now it's at 5*. I chatted to a couple of people (thanks Wes @wyksta ) about how to hear detonation etc. (but it's all good). I also probably bored the pants off of others wanting advice about the tune. I also flirted with the idea of running quite rich, to bring revs down, for longer live, but then I thought "bo!!ocks if it blows up, I'll just have some fun, re-building it again". So here goes, me and hybrid converting poplar wood into kindling :)

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
the rakers need lowering, what's the chips like ?
:risas3: The rakers are low as f**k and the teeth are razor sharp! I deliberately wasn't putting much in the way of any load down, since I wanted to really to start to get my head round, well my ears to be more precise, it "cleaning up as it starts to bite into the wood". Rather than basically forcing it to clean up, like I was when it was running richer, a few weeks back. Anyway that's my current philosophy!!!

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
She be spinning her wheels...:)
Like a dragster mate!

dragster.jpg

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What RPM she running at?
Sounds like its walking up in RPM under no load.
Personally I feel the 1128 series make more power on the rich side.
Fuel makes HP, not air

Sounds good otherwise
At no load, between 15.1-15.3 I guess. In the clip I'd hazard a guess that it's cutting at between 11-12k.

I deliberately didn't lean on it too much, as I wanted to see that it would still clean up in at least 18" of wood, without forcing it down too much, since at anything below 14.9k (No load WOT) it sounds fat in the wood that I get given most of the time!

In the past I've put more load down, e.g against beech and she keeps cutting at least down as low as 9.5k

It still definitely sounds very rough when pi$$ revved and 4-strokey as I start to get the bar down e.g. in that first cut into the trunk.

Last edited:

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was me I would definately run it with an 8 pin in that size wood. You could probably run it with an 8 pin in most any would for that matter with a 24 inch bar.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it was me I would definately run it with an 8 pin in that size wood. You could probably run it with an 8 pin in most any would for that matter with a 24 inch bar.
Yeah, that's definitely an idea. I've got a 8T somewhere. And if my wood processing area was bigger, it would have a 28" bar. Could easy do it justice.

I 'll stick one on it soon. But my focus now is on my second 044 now and other people's saws.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that's definitely an idea. I've got a 8T somewhere. And if my wood processing area was bigger, it would have a 28" bar. Could easy do it justice.

I 'll stick one on it soon. But my focus now is on my second 044 now and other people's saws.
It is just a LOT of saw for any wood under 24 inches IMO.