039 top end on an 029

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buddy give me an ms290 to get running after he tried putting on a new AM carb, fuel line and filter, and a new filter. Asked him if he'd looked at the piston, he said no. This is what it looks like.......
20190208_074835.jpg

Thinking this would be a good candidate for an 039 top end. Is this a direct bolt on and is it worthwhile? Thanks.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes go for it. HL Supply even has a pop up piston for the 039/390 head.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only reason to have that size saw is to have the 039/390 p/c in my opinion. It really makes them a good firewood saw for the weight. I pick up every 029/290 blown up I can find.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tagged.
I have a 390 that needs a top end.
Been eyeballing the HS supply setup.
It will be a learning project for me.

ETA, I'm also in NC.
Let's order two HS supply top ends and spit shipping.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made my 029S into a real Super by using a 039 kit, muffler mod, and advancing the timing a bit. It runs even with my 036Pro in Red Oak.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 to do this Spring and all will have the 390 kits with mild muffler mod. I don't like to go too radical on the muffler because of the noise and damage to hearing..

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies! So 039 top end it will be....I'm not going to tell my buddy til after he runs it lol.

What muffler mod? Just drilling bigger holes? I noticed the muffler is one piece with a baffle in it.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies! So 039 top end it will be....I'm not going to tell my buddy til after he runs it lol.

What muffler mod? Just drilling bigger holes? I noticed the muffler is one piece with a baffle in it.
Drill some holes in the rectangular indentation under the deflector. You can open most of that area if you don't mind a little noise. Then notch the deflector back a LITTLE bit. No need to go crazy there. I'll see if I have pics....if not I have another here to do soon.

How much you open the can is gonna determine decibel level. I can tell you that the way I mod them makes it uncomfortable to run without ear plugs.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Drill some holes in the rectangular indentation under the deflector. You can open most of that area if you don't mind a little noise. Then notch the deflector back a LITTLE bit. No need to go crazy there. I'll see if I have pics....if not I have another here to do soon.

How much you open the can is gonna determine decibel level. I can tell you that the way I mod them makes it uncomfortable to run without ear plugs.
No one should run any chainsaw without earplugs or muffs. (except electric)

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The next 029/039 rebuild I'm going to do, I plan to use one of the pop up pistons on a cleaned up 49mm OEM jug. Have people generally been happy with the pop up? ie, does it actually generate more power?
I know that a muffler mod on this series is almost a requirement and makes a significant difference in power.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buddy give me an ms290 to get running after he tried putting on a new AM carb, fuel line and filter, and a new filter. Asked him if he'd looked at the piston, he said no. This is what it looks like.......
View attachment 163873

Thinking this would be a good candidate for an 039 top end. Is this a direct bolt on and is it worthwhile? Thanks.
From looking at the pic, I doubt the cylinder would be salvageable on that one. Sometimes you have to clean them up before a final determination can be made. Anytime I have an 1127 series saw engine apart, I always go to the 49mm cylinder. I wouldn't take apart a good running saw to upgrade it.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have people generally been happy with the pop up? ie, does it actually generate more power?

My saw liked to cut at around 11,000 rpm. After the pop-up it now likes to cut at 11,400. There is also more torque through the rpm range.

I didn't think the small pop-up would make that big of difference in the compression, but it does depend on how small your combustion chamber is to begin with. I remove the gaskets from under the sparkplug and de-comp to tighten up the combustion chamber.

Whereas the de-comp was working fine before the pop-up, after installing the pop-up the de-comp kept triggering too early. I had to drill the hole larger, test, drill larger, test, drill it larger - I finally got it working correctly. That was the only 'problem' I had with the mod.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still working on dialing in the HD-5. I think I'm getting close. The idle is still a tad too rich, so I think I may have to go back in and drill an air bleed/transition hole.

I can stop it in the cut, bar buried with an 8-pin and it comes off the bottom nice and strong, but I think there is a bit more in it.

When I get it where I like it, I'll let you guys know what the mods were. These HDs are a pain compared to the Zamas.

I'm not cutting now as I have pulled a muscle in my back. Crikey, just getting out of bed is a major effort...

grizz55chev

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My saw liked to cut at around 11,000 rpm. After the pop-up it now likes to cut at 11,400. There is also more torque through the rpm range.

I didn't think the small pop-up would make that big of difference in the compression, but it does depend on how small your combustion chamber is to begin with. I remove the gaskets from under the sparkplug and de-comp to tighten up the combustion chamber.

Whereas the de-comp was working fine before the pop-up, after installing the pop-up the de-comp kept triggering too early. I had to drill the hole larger, test, drill larger, test, drill it larger - I finally got it working correctly. That was the only 'problem' I had with the mod.
Plug that decomp, not really needed and it’s a source of a possible leak.