merc_man

merc_man
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working on my uncles truck.
It had a fuel leak which is why i had to go get it. (Not running out of gas) get it home dump some gas in it cycle key bunch time and try starting. Bucks and fart and dies. Then nothing. Crank little more and nothing.
Crawed under truck to listen for fuel pump as my boy turned key on. Cant here any thing.
Pulled relay. Its a four pin. Found the ground then hot then signal. Fouth should be wire to the pump. Jump the constant power to where the wire to pump should be and still nothing. Cant here the pump at all.
What you think about making a hole in box to axcess the pump. Hes fine with it.
I know its not the propper way but the easyesy when i dont really have the time.
It will all be hidden under the box liner. Would have to unhook battery and put a few weld on it and silicone it after.

Whats your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can loosen the bed bolts on the passenger side remove bed bolts on driver side and unplug tail light harness and tip bed up enough to get pump out. Make sure to hold bed up with 2x4 or something strong so as not to fall on you. I did this on my 02 model and it worked great. Make sure to get a new lock ring for pump if you live where the salt. Mine was ate up and would not come loose, had to chisel out.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can loosen the bed bolts on the passenger side remove bed bolts on driver side and unplug tail light harness and tip bed up enough to get pump out. Make sure to hold bed up with 2x4 or something strong so as not to fall on you. I did this on my 02 model and it worked great. Make sure to get a new lock ring for pump if you live where the salt. Mine was ate up and would not come loose, had to chisel out.
You were able to do that by yourself. Thats not a bad way either.

I thought about taking the box off but need more help for that.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes I did it alone out side in the driveway at about twenty degrees you can easily lift the bed and insert 2x4 behind the tire up in to the wheel well to hold bed up about two feet. Just enough room to kneel down between cab corner and rear wheel and wrestle pump out of tank .

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May try that route.
What is ther about 8 bolts?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May try that route.
What is ther about 8 bolts?

It's about 8 bolts (18mm head if I remember correctly) and a couple torx bolts to take the filler neck bucket out of the side of the box. 6 bolts can be easily taken out or loosened with a socket, 8" extension and a 1/2" impact gun. 2 at the very back usually have direct access denied by the trailer hitch, you'll need a universal or wobble for those. Then disconnect the two wiring harness connections at the bulkead on the rear left of the frame for the tail lights.

Floor jack and some section of 4x4 to lift the side of the box and 2x4's to shore it up and you'll be in business.

I've lifted off a short box (6.5') with only two people. Take the tailgate off first to save a little weight.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't it easier to take the straps off and just drop the tank? I did it so many times on the wife's Tahoe that the last time only took 45 minutes. Might be different in a truck though

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tank is side mounted on truck between frame rail and drive shaft. Usually driveshaft is removed to drop tank if straps are not rusted to pieces. Tahoe and suburban are rear mounted after axle.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easier to just to raise the bed on driver's side, we do it at the house with a floor jack and two different lengths of 4x4 post. Jack up in the fender well.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do these pretty often, but on a lift. On the ground, the bed removal is a little more work but easier on the back. Be prepared to source a new lock ring just in case. They're getting worse every year. Also, be patient with the clip on lines. It's often best to cut them off at the pump(the metal part) and remove the stubs from the plastic... It depends on how rusty they are.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot about filler neck srcarr52 is the man better description than I can do.

I was there a few months ago on a '99 to do a full set of brake lines. Took the box off and jacked the driver side of the cab 2" to get room to sneak the new lines in.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know your pain on the brake lines my 02 model failed in a choke up on I -75 and I had to choose the ditch , sadly that was the end of her. I had just had new tires and brakes done lines failed between master cylinder and abs module.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know your pain on the brake lines my 02 model failed in a choke up on I -75 and I had to choose the ditch , sadly that was the end of her. I had just had new tires and brakes done lines failed between master cylinder and abs module.
My cousin lost his burb in the same fashion...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dropped the tank in my 06 2500HD to add a bigger fuel line intake. Wasn't bad at all. I just removed the drive shaft. Very easy. The tanks are plastic, light weight. I did it with the truck on blocks.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rather do them at work, trans jack helps a lot. Filler neck can be a pain some times and removing the evap tank line for the vent solenoid is a butt also. I've never removed drive shaft.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I rather do them at work, trans jack helps a lot. Filler neck can be a pain some times and removing the evap tank line for the vent solenoid is a butt also. I've never removed drive shaft.

Same here.