026 vs 421 physical size

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the 421 on small to medium invasives, but I use a 201 rear handle when I have to chip or haul the debris.
What specifically do you like about them.
The ease of starting.
The torque of a saw out of its class.
The way it feels in my hands.
Fuel economy

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
All about ..,"Objective Perspective " Gents . Here are a few pics i took a while back.
No 1..ps 420/421 look bigger ?

Photo0685.jpg

No2...still look bigger ??

Photo0686.jpg

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
026 is a good saw for a design that dates back to the 024 of the 80’s... but they aren’t as refined as the newer saws. Av and air filtration specifically. Great power to weight though.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
420/421 is affordable new, easy to use and start as well. Good power with a gutted cat (reduces some weight as well). Very smooth and the flocked filter works good. Not a race saw like a ported 026 or 346 but more friendly and predictable to run.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My only complain on the 421 is the intake setup is crap, they need a fixed clamp. But they do make incredible power for such a small saw. More torque then most would expect. Nothing wrong w a good 026 either, especially a MOFO 026. It's one of the last stihls I own along w a 191.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My only complain on the 421 is the intake setup is crap, they need a fixed clamp. But they do make incredible power for such a small saw. More torque then most would expect. Nothing wrong w a good 026 either, especially a MOFO 026. It's one of the last stihls I own along w a 191.
Hi Dustin.:)
From my point of view the intake on the 420/421 has been trouble free on saws that iv had through the workshop . I know what you mean regarding having a clamp as a preference but it seems not to be a problem due to the way the saw is constructed. The way i see it is like this.
As the motor and carb/air box is all one unit the rubber intake is subject to no flexing unlike a separate carb/air box intake boot arrangement . The intake itself having a chunky constriction along with a shoulder/shoulders that on install the carb floor mount/top cover applies holding pressure onto the cylinder intake that also has a groove cast into it for extra security and holding ability.
I would add that for best practice I make the choice of always using a new intake rubber if removing one from the cylinder. The need for multiple instals of the same new rubber is minimal for me as i'm not doing saw modification testing. Iv put a pic with this post for everyone who has not seen or worked on the 420/421.

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 10.30.48.png

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have seen quite a few leak around the boot, generally they have been caught before ruining the top ends, I really like the design of the saws otherwise, and nothing is perfect, I still consider them a terrific saw. Just something to keep an eye on.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have seen quite a few leak around the boot, generally they have been caught before ruining the top ends, I really like the design of the saws otherwise, and nothing is perfect, I still consider them a terrific saw. Just something to keep an eye on.
Take your point on keeping a eye on the connection . I cannot offer a factual explanation as to why you see some air leaks ...maybe ethanol having a affect ..removal and re fit of the same component multiple times ..unsympathetic instal in the past or at factory....cant say for sure.

Habada
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Dustin.:)
From my point of view the intake on the 420/421 has been trouble free on saws that iv had through the workshop . I know what you mean regarding having a clamp as a preference but it seems not to be a problem due to the way the saw is constructed. The way i see it is like this.
As the motor and carb/air box is all one unit the rubber intake is subject to no flexing unlike a separate carb/air box intake boot arrangement . The intake itself having a chunky constriction along with a shoulder/shoulders that on install the carb floor mount/top cover applies holding pressure onto the cylinder intake that also has a groove cast into it for extra security and holding ability.
I would add that for best practice I make the choice of always using a new intake rubber if removing one from the cylinder. The need for multiple instals of the same new rubber is minimal for me as i'm not doing saw modification testing. Iv put a pic with this post for everyone who has not seen or worked on the 420/421.

View attachment 186346

The 421/4300 is about bulletproof of a saw I've seen. I still haven't seen a 350/351/420/421/4300 with a damaged piston & cylinder. We even ran a 420 on straight gas with only some fuel treatment and it still didn't blow up.

The PS-350/420 there were a few bugs with. Fuel line, coils, and chain tensioner pegs. Also had a few with Walbro's that would lean out. I'm trying to remember when the Zama became standard. Sometime after the 421 was released.