026 tank vent

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run mesh filters on mine all year round, some of my 026`s are 20+ years old and show no wear from using them. However if you live in a dry dusty climate then fine dust will get through the wire mesh filters, not much of a problem here due to our moist maritime climate.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run the wire mesh on my 026s and 036 year round as well. They are an awesome filter. Breathe very well. My P&C look brand new. Just have to be disciplined to clean them regularly.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They actually told you the truth about the wire mesh filter. Only available in Canada. It's their winter filter.

Lose the 024 filter and get the 026 filter. It flows more air. You'll get better performance.

Sooo what's the physical difference in the filters? Do you have a part number? Is the tall mesh one that I had the original? Next question I have 2 ported 026's the one is ported more heavily than the other and doesn't idle well, I was told that is I got a wire mesh filter that it should take care of that because it breathes better. Is that true?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
026 filter is taller than the 024 filter. More air to make more power.
I run metal mesh filter on my ported 026. Get one and try it. Keep a screw driver handy. You will gain rpms so a retune will be necessary. You WILL like it. [emoji106]

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
026 filter 005.JPG
Mesh filter from a saw I sold. I about died when the buyer (from oz.) posted this. I had been using the saw cutting dead oak firewood and making a few vids to use in the ad. I used a paint brush to "clean" the filter after every tank. It was clean as a whistle outside, and I just called it good. Not GOOD!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
026 filter is taller than the 024 filter. More air to make more power.
I run metal mesh filter on my ported 026. Get one and try it. Keep a screw driver handy. You will gain rpms so a retune will be necessary. You WILL like it. [emoji106]

You know come to think of it since the smaller filter has been on it does seem like the rpm's are a little lower.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mesh filter from a saw I sold. I about died when the buyer (from oz.) posted this. I had been using the saw cutting dead oak firewood and making a few vids to use in the ad. I used a paint brush to "clean" the filter after every tank. It was clean as a whistle outside, and I just called it good. Not GOOD!

Definitely have to clean them when done cutting more diligently. Mine look like that at times too. But my P&C look brand new.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info,I didn't know that. When my other filter was broken I ordered an 026 filter and that is the one that I got. They told me that they couldn't get the tall wire mesh one like I had before. I was told that I could only get those ones from Canada. Why is that?

I think you need a new dealer.

The flocked 026 filters are easy to find. The wire mesh (winter) filters are a bit harder to run across. And in my experience the 024 are like hens teeth, and once you find them, you gotta pay...

Edit. Thought this posted this morning before everyone else. Oops... lol.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sooo what's the physical difference in the filters? Do you have a part number? Is the tall mesh one that I had the original? Next question I have 2 ported 026's the one is ported more heavily than the other and doesn't idle well, I was told that is I got a wire mesh filter that it should take care of that because it breathes better. Is that true?

metal mesh 026 filter# 121 120 1611
mesh filter for the MS260, usually nylon mesh last few I got # 121 120 1617

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup the one on the left is like my old one. The one that I have now is a flocked one. Maybe that's why it seems to run at a lower rpm.

If you had the metal mesh and replaced with a flocked and didn’t retune, she’s prob fat as a pig. Retune for the flocked filter and it will run more gooder.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was recently working on a friends 026 that's been his primary firewood saw for 20+ years, has seen a lot of use.
Had a wire mesh filter and the intake side of the piston was worn down significantly more than the exhaust side.
Performance/power? Sure.
Effective filtration? I think that depends on what and how much you're cutting.

I'd run one on a gtg/occasional use saw or in snow but not all year for a work saw.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After 20 years of hard use I have seen many flocked filter saws with worn out pistons but usually the most wear is on the exhaust skirts but the pistons still needed to be replaced. I do clean my filters on a daily basis, 6 - 8 tanks of fuel on an average day with some days running twice that number.

wrenchindad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think I got 'er sorted (finally). I wussed out on cutting the tower vent down, rationalizing that decision by telling myself I can just pop it on with my old flocked filter and cover if I get in a jam with the 260 vent & filter setup. What allowed me to do this was finding a universal vent at a local Echo dealer. It's actually an Echo part # A356000031. Didn't have to wait for one from Feebay. Used a #6 fuel line that provided a real good interference fit with the nipple on the tank (hose goes inside the nipple) and the nipple on the vent. It's still a little high but it fits inside the cover just fine. I probably could have gotten it a little closer to the tank if I chopped one of the barbs off the tank vent, thereby shortening the nipple and allowing me to shorten the hose.

Best I could come up with to plug the filter compensator hole was a rubber stopper I found at the hardware store. Cheesy but effective.

I'll pull the tach out this weekend and see how it does.

20180926_194654.jpg 20180926_194717.jpg