026 tank vent

wrenchindad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your pict above is correct in all ways, the top screw allows air to pass from one channel to the other/cross flow. Seal up the left and right cross flow ends, once one has done a few it is only necessary to pierce one side and stop before the needle or drill pushes out through the opposite side leaving only one hole to seal up.
The two screws act just like the grub screws inside a common vent line on a chainsaw, they allow a little air to pass, when I cut the vent down I just leave the lower screw in place and make a very small/fine cross flow between the two larger air passages with a hot needle or if you have micro drills they will work fine also. On the first few cut downs I melted the top together with a soldering iron with a flat blade in it, works wonders to close off the tops of the air channels. A dab of JB will seal it as well and I like keeping the black vent base as it fits better and doesn`t look like a hack job when done right, this alteration works fine and I have not experienced any fuel leakage by cutting them down, just suites my personal preferences while other types of vents will surely work fine.
OK, so it took me a while to get back on this job, and immediately had a WTF moment. Sure looks like I need to cut down that vent WAY more than I should, to the point where it will likely not function. In the pics it's not sitting on the actual tank vent opening on the tank, but just outboard of it on the vertical piece that keeps it aligned. The red line is where it appears it would have to be cut. Did I purchase the wrong filter or does this thing need to really get chopped?20180924_200300.jpg 20180924_200243.jpg 20180924_200311.jpg 20180924_200345.jpg

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, so it took me a while to get back on this job, and immediately had a WTF moment. Sure looks like I need to cut down that vent WAY more than I should, to the point where it will likely not function. In the pics it's not sitting on the actual tank vent opening on the tank, but just outboard of it on the vertical piece that keeps it aligned. The red line is where it appears it would have to be cut. Did I purchase the wrong filter or does this thing need to really get chopped?View attachment 142789 View attachment 142790 View attachment 142791 View attachment 142792

Am I seeing the compensator opening on the back of this filter (an open hole where the compensator snorkle goes in?). If so, yes you did buy the wrong filter. I can's see all of the saw but it appears you bought a newer style filter for your old style 026. The old style filter is more narrow and has no compensator opening in the back. In so using the designed filter the tank vent will not conflict or rub up against your filter.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
260 filter is a little wider than the 026 filter.

wrenchindad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. Yep - the goal is to upgrade from old 026 flocked filter to 260 mesh filter for my ported and muff mod'd 026. I though maybe I bought the wrong mesh filter since it appears I have to cut down the tower vent SO much. If anybody has an 026 with a mesh filter and chopped tower vent, I'd love to see a photo. It's looking like I'll have to go the route that @Big_6 did with a universal tank vent.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm liking this thread....mucho I'm liking the reuse of those red b-t plugs. umm nice fit :rolleyes: lol

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. Yep - the goal is to upgrade from old 026 flocked filter to 260 mesh filter for my ported and muff mod'd 026. I though maybe I bought the wrong mesh filter since it appears I have to cut down the tower vent SO much. If anybody has an 026 with a mesh filter and chopped tower vent, I'd love to see a photo. It's looking like I'll have to go the route that @Big_6 did with a universal tank vent.

I have two 026's I'll have to look when I get home. I know that one of them for sure has the snorkel. It use to have the mesh filter but it got a little damaged when the butt of a top smashed my saw. I still have the filter and can put it back on for comparison.

I may forget to take the picture, if I forget just send me a PM to remind me!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I got for you @wrenchindad I wasn't able to find my mesh filter it's a tall one not the short one, but the original air cover works for both the tall and short air filters. Let me know if these pictures are good enough for you .

20180925_152710.jpg

20180925_152642.jpg

20180925_152653.jpg

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, so it took me a while to get back on this job, and immediately had a WTF moment. Sure looks like I need to cut down that vent WAY more than I should, to the point where it will likely not function. In the pics it's not sitting on the actual tank vent opening on the tank, but just outboard of it on the vertical piece that keeps it aligned. The red line is where it appears it would have to be cut. Did I purchase the wrong filter or does this thing need to really get chopped?View attachment 142789 View attachment 142790 View attachment 142791 View attachment 142792

Yes, you can cut the tall black vent down til it just sits in under the MS260 filters, I have 5 of my saws done this way and they work fine. The vent does not need to be full length tall to work when done as I have described in previous posts.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s an 024 filter.

Thanks for the info,I didn't know that. When my other filter was broken I ordered an 026 filter and that is the one that I got. They told me that they couldn't get the tall wire mesh one like I had before. I was told that I could only get those ones from Canada. Why is that?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They actually told you the truth about the wire mesh filter. Only available in Canada. It's their winter filter.

Lose the 024 filter and get the 026 filter. It flows more air. You'll get better performance.