026 tank vent

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the number of 026`s and 260`s I see they certainly are the most common Stihl saw in this area. Just a few years back I didn`t own one of them, mostly considered them too small for my needs and useage but owned many bigger Stihls. After a friend finding one at a flea market, he bought it for $5. with me in mind to use as a parts saw. I put it back together, was missing its airfilter and cover is all. I still have that saw and run it often as it is an Arctic model, good on cold days. My collection of 026`s grew to more than 15 runners and many parts saws, have yet to buy one for more than $45., most were freebies.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOW! Much more here in the states used. I am jealous. LOL

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OMG. Unreal. LOL
Seriously...quit looking. Now of the two I got one was all OEM but had over $200 worth of bits on a $200 saw. The second will be almost all Asian Zing as the crank was junk, plastics missing, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The two I just got were free...quit looking for saws, try to get rid of them all... watch what happens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly, just what happens to me. Often get complete saws given to me that stop working and the owners don`t want to pay to get them fixed. I don`t want any saws but Stihl`s but that don`t stop them from showing up....LOL

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey just want thank everybody for the discussion in this thread. I run an MS260. My Dad has an 026 that is just a few years older than mine. Was tuning up Dads saw the other day for him and discovered that his vent filter and housing were missing. His has the style with the little orange checkvalve that is inside the tank with the center tip poking upward as shown in post #70. Thanks to you all, I was able to order the correct parts to replace what is missing.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey just want thank everybody for the discussion in this thread. I run an MS260. My Dad has an 026 that is just a few years older than mine. Was tuning up Dads saw the other day for him and discovered that his vent filter and housing were missing. His has the style with the little orange checkvalve that is inside the tank with the center tip poking upward as shown in post #70. Thanks to you all, I was able to order the correct parts to replace what is missing.
I’m glad some others have stepped up with their information as well. Glad I started this thread. Thanks gentlemen.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta be careful not to run it for fear it will catch fire and cause injury. Until it gets fixed.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dad just told me the 026 tank vent thing fell off and the gas bath followed.
He put a foam ear plug in place.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I had to put a little moto seal on mine for it to stay in place. Same thing happened to me lol.

wrenchindad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have vent setup on the top picture . On the 026pro filter conversion, the black vent got in the way. A fuel hose inside the tank vent mount accepts a universal tank vent.
575e681b17de9f10973defaca5768ff4.jpg
I'm looking to do the same thing. I have a mod'd old style 026 with the black tower vent and I'd like to convert to the 260 filter & cover. @Big_6 how exactly did you do this vent and where did you get the parts? Thanks in advance!

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking to do the same thing. I have a mod'd old style 026 with the black tower vent and I'd like to convert to the 260 filter & cover. @Big_6 how exactly did you do this vent and where did you get the parts? Thanks in advance!
I found that the black tower tank vent doesn't work with the pro cover/filter setup. I had the aftermarket tank filter/plug/hose kits for the 026.
The filter fit on a piece of hose inside the tank opening/ not an outside mounting.
Edit: hose inside tank plastic/ vent mounted in the fuel hose.
As noted by others, an rtv would be needed for a semi permanent hose mount to the tank. The assembly fits and vents well inside the pro cover.

5x chainsaw spare parts Fuel Tank Breather vent
$2.35 , not OEM
China from the Bay

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the more adventures among you the black tower vent can be cut down and the cut end sealed over but a small channel must be kept open between the two air channels in the vent. I seal the end first and then heat a needle red hot, plunge it through between the two existing air channels and after withdrawing the needle seal up the two holes on the exterior. 5 of my 026`s are currently running with these vents and work just as good as they did when full height.

wrenchindad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The filter fit on a piece of hose inside the tank opening/ not an outside mounting.

Thanks. So a little confused about the hose being inside the tank opening. In your close-up pic earlier in the thread, it sure looked like a hunk of fuel line slipped over the nipple on the tank just like the OEM black tower vent does, then you stuff the little vent into the other end of the line, no?

wrenchindad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vent Mark up.jpg Vent Mark up 2.jpg View attachment 140876 View attachment 140876 View attachment 140873 View attachment 140873 View attachment 140874
For the more adventures among you the black tower vent can be cut down and the cut end sealed over but a small channel must be kept open between the two air channels in the vent. I seal the end first and then heat a needle red hot, plunge it through between the two existing air channels and after withdrawing the needle seal up the two holes on the exterior. 5 of my 026`s are currently running with these vents and work just as good as they did when full height.
Thanks Basher. Not afraid of trying to cut it down, but it seems like there's more to this little bugger than meets the eye. Cut line location would be established by the amount of interference with the new 260 filter. What are those two screws for? I didn't pull the one that's inside the vent out to investigate for fear of not being able to get it back in. I assume the typical cut location doesn't interfere with that screw and it just stays there, right?

Last edited:

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 140878 View attachment 140877 View attachment 140876 View attachment 140876 View attachment 140873 View attachment 140873 View attachment 140874
Thanks Basher. Not afraid of trying to cut it down, but it seems like there's more to this little bugger than meets the eye. Cut line location would be established by the amount of interference with the new 260 filter. What are those two screws for? I didn't pull the one that's inside the vent out to investigate for fear of not being able to get it back in. I assume the typical cut location doesn't interfere with that screw and it just stays there, right?

Your pict above is correct in all ways, the top screw allows air to pass from one channel to the other/cross flow. Seal up the left and right cross flow ends, once one has done a few it is only necessary to pierce one side and stop before the needle or drill pushes out through the opposite side leaving only one hole to seal up.
The two screws act just like the grub screws inside a common vent line on a chainsaw, they allow a little air to pass, when I cut the vent down I just leave the lower screw in place and make a very small/fine cross flow between the two larger air passages with a hot needle or if you have micro drills they will work fine also. On the first few cut downs I melted the top together with a soldering iron with a flat blade in it, works wonders to close off the tops of the air channels. A dab of JB will seal it as well and I like keeping the black vent base as it fits better and doesn`t look like a hack job when done right, this alteration works fine and I have not experienced any fuel leakage by cutting them down, just suites my personal preferences while other types of vents will surely work fine.

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have vent setup on the top picture . On the 026pro filter conversion, the black vent got in the way. A fuel hose inside the tank vent mount accepts a universal tank vent.
575e681b17de9f10973defaca5768ff4.jpg

I've got one with the black duckbill style. I want to use the larger filter like you have here, but it interferes with the tank vent.

Curious what you have here for parts in your setup?