026 tank vent

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have vent setup on the top picture . On the 026pro filter conversion, the black vent got in the way. A fuel hose inside the tank vent mount accepts a universal tank vent.
575e681b17de9f10973defaca5768ff4.jpg

Looks like an Echo vent. I've used these to repair the Stihl 025 which have the vent nipple broken off.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm confused... you show pictures of the black one in a previous post installed.

Were you able to make the small orange work where the large black was?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sorry for no response bud. I haven’t been getting notifications from OPE forum I may have told you wrong all together. I’ll check my 026 this morning and post pictures if I need to. I’ve done quite a few other saws since I posted this. Didn’t mean to leave you hanging.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wrong on using the orange duckbill. I used a black one and the Little high top vent. Probably don’t need both but I did 4F8ACCDD-FA27-4818-A846-4BD705B4D6BC.jpegDFAC70D3-E177-4C13-834E-CF8056F57973.jpeg

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And you have sizes as well you could post, have all the info in one thread and stuff since you made me pull a bunch of my 026`s apart to measure....LOL

yep I am game. An interesting thing is I asked a gold certified tech about the multiple tank vent choices. He could not answer it. :cool:

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And you have sizes as well you could post, have all the info in one thread and stuff since you made me pull a bunch of my 026`s apart to measure....LOL
I have side by sides. I was moving fast on a tailgate to get the saw back into a tree.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yep I am game. An interesting thing is I asked a gold certified tech about the multiple tank vent choices. He could not answer it. :cool:

He could if he looked it up but that takes time and 026`s are now old saws so unless you were talking to an older tech the newer tech has to take time to go back through Media Cat and find all the changes. Even the older guys that worked on 026`s when they were current models would have forgotten all of the changes by now. Looking through Media Cat and pulling over 16 different 026`s off the shelf enabled me to help Jimmy find 4 different choices for vents, there may even be more but the tall black ones were the early ones, after that changes were made in the size and design of the vents and caps. The only way to determine which vent is needed, if the original is no longer installed on the tank ,is by measurement and visual inspection of each individual tank as tanks often get changed out one can not go by engine serial numbers alone.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He could if he looked it up but that takes time and 026`s are now old saws so unless you were talking to an older tech the newer tech has to take time to go back through Media Cat and find all the changes. Even the older guys that worked on 026`s when they were current models would have forgotten all of the changes by now. Looking through Media Cat and pulling over 16 different 026`s off the shelf enabled me to help Jimmy find 4 different choices for vents, there may even be more but the tall black ones were the early ones, after that changes were made in the size and design of the vents and caps. The only way to determine which vent is needed, if the original is no longer installed on the tank ,is by measurement and visual inspection of each individual tank as tanks often get changed out one can not go by engine serial numbers alone.
You are exactly right. Serial number break did not get this one right. Ill get my other phone started shortly.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are exactly right. Serial number break did not get this one right. Ill get my other phone started shortly.

If you happen to get a bare tank or a tank just missing its vent and cap then the search begins. Since I have worked on these devil 026`s for 8 -9 years now I have never found a defective vent on one but if the vent is missing then its a search and identify job, only made easier if I have the tank in my hands and can measure it with tools and visually see some details.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 5 026s. 2 have the older black tall vents and are metal tags. 2 have the round white type vent and are plastic tags, and a newer 260 haven't checked it yet.
Good thread here! [emoji481]

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 5 026s. 2 have the older black tall vents and are metal tags. 2 have the round white type vent and are plastic tags, and a newer 260 haven't checked it yet.
Good thread here! [emoji481]

The 260 should have the squat round black vent with 7 small turrent holes in the cap, that we call a snap in vent, its all one unit but made up of many small pieces with an O ring for a seal.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a clear see through tank I will dig out and snap a few photos when I can. My older metal tag saws have the solid white tanks. The plastic tags have clear see through tanks.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a clear see through tank I will dig out and snap a few photos when I can. My older metal tag saws have the solid white tanks. The plastic tags have clear see through tanks.

If they are all original to that saw, troble begins when tanks are swapped out.