026 Pro modified airfilter & muffler mod

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finished my muffler mod today and recently did some surgery on a nylon later model 026 airfilter.

I copied (to the best of my limited ability) what Al does on his 026/260 builds. I dremeled out the nylon and created a few more holes and glued some 150 micron stainless steel mesh. I'll see how it worksimage.jpegimage.jpeg I also used one of @Red97 medium deflectors. I grinded the welds the best I could because I want it to look as "factory" as possible with a big deflector sticking out. I was able to weld some stainless 1/8" mesh inside and put a piece in the stock location. image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea of how it sounds yet since I have yet to start it. My @drf255 ported 036 has a dual port and it isn't too bad. I guess I will see.

If it's truely awful I can cover up the area under the deflector a little. I'm not too worried. I live in the land of Harley Davidsons. From snow melt until snow fall, that's the soundtrack.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea of how it sounds yet since I have yet to start it. My @drf255 ported 036 has a dual port and it isn't too bad. I guess I will see.

If it's truely awful I can cover up the area under the deflector a little. I'm not too worried. I live in the land of Harley Davidsons. From snow melt until snow fall, that's the soundtrack.

If it sounds like a Harley, I'll be sending mine up to you soon! :cool:
Otherwise enjoy the 026 -- I sure do love me some 026's!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

After I massage that saw, you're gonna want to pry that side defector open some more. Round the roof out a bit. More cross sectional area.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do that to an 066 and it will sound more like a harley!

A nice open box on an o26 really brings them to life.
Mine will now noodle more than the chain cover can handle and blocks up all the time.

Loud.... Yes
Sound good...... YES!

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I widened the exhaust and polished it up, squared out the bottom of the intake, raised the transfer uppers a few deg to 118* port matched the muffler base, and opened up the front cover a heap, with a now hi flow screen and took about .020 off the flywheel key.
Goes great!
Cuts way faster than my dads stock saw which is identical.

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll run it how it is and see how it goes.

I'll take .020 off of the key too.

I may have to cut more out inside under the deflector and weld another piece of screen in before you get it Al. I was a little hesitant and didn't want to go too big.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have the name for that glue? If mine doesn't hold up I might try that.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice 026 there bud! Like that dual port muffler, and the air filter fix is sweet!

It's not as loud as I thought it would be. I tried to upload a video off of my phone but I keep getting an error message.

It runs real nice with the filter (I removed more of the front cover making it into more of a square, the modified airfilter and advancing the timing). It has more attitude now.