MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son & I went out cutting yesterday & got this load of ash home.There are 2 more loads about the same size to ghet home yet.We used the 10-10S that I'd acquired back in late March to do the heavy bucking.That was my first time using a 10-10S that was in dercent running condition.I was impressed the way it ran.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 4

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son & I went out cutting yesterday & got this load of ash home.There are 2 more loads about the same size to ghet home yet.We used the 10-10S that I'd acquired back in late March to do the heavy bucking.That was my first time using a 10-10S that was in dercent running condition.I was impressed the way it ran.
Here’s some ash for ya , lol IMG_0107.jpeg

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have the Emerald Ash Borer in NY state or elsewhere in New England? Very few (living) ash trees left in this part of the country. Seems like if you don't get them cut down and split within a year or two the wood isn't worth dragging home.

Mark

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have the Emerald Ash Borer in NY state or elsewhere in New England? Very few (living) ash trees left in this part of the country. Seems like if you don't get them cut down and split within a year or two the wood isn't worth dragging home.

Mark
Yes Mark , EAB has destroyed pretty much all the healthy stands of ash around , that’s all I’ve been burning 🔥 the last couple years, there’s so much dead stand around, yea it drys up fairly quickly and turns to pulp , after the EAB beetle gets to it ,

Last edited:

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Mark,the ash borer has raised hell with our ash trees here.The tree we just cut down was still alive,but it was dying.Very few ash trees left alive here.I love the smell of burning ash,but I tell everyone to savor that smell because it won't be long before it's gone.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate to bring this up...
When I was a kid in the 70s the local governments would takle problems like this with federal funding, spraying gypsy moth out breaks, helicopter fogging mosquitoes , and treating Dutch elms disease.
When I moved to SC 10 years ago I heard we were gonna lose all the Hemlock trees because of Wolly adaja ( spelling?) . Georgia had lost most of theirs, here's the thing IT'S TREATABLE! Yeah it's a pita but you can treat the trees.
Everyone thought that guys with chainsaws were going to deforest the country, but turns out bueracy will.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So help me understand.
I was putting up some PM700 parts today, and decided to check the model # tags.
Well, they were two completely different numbers, but Acres site says they are BOTH PM700s.
Why?
20240512_175450.jpg20240512_175421.jpg

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I can add Brent is that earlier release saws (1977) had the 600061 model number and were all yellow.

Later saws (by 1987) used the 600116 model number and normally used the black flywheel housing and clutch covers.

Mark

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I can add Brent is that earlier release saws (1977) had the 600061 model number and were all yellow.

Later saws (by 1987) used the 600116 model number and normally used the black flywheel housing and clutch covers.

Mark
That seems to be the case here Mark.
One was all yellow with a short clutch cover, chain brake, and electronic ign.
Other had black recoil, long clutch cover(black), electronic ign, and black oil tank cover.

cinci5

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate to bring this up...
When I was a kid in the 70s the local governments would takle problems like this with federal funding, spraying gypsy moth out breaks, helicopter fogging mosquitoes , and treating Dutch elms disease.
When I moved to SC 10 years ago I heard we were gonna lose all the Hemlock trees because of Wolly adaja ( spelling?) . Georgia had lost most of theirs, here's the thing IT'S TREATABLE! Yeah it's a pita but you can treat the trees.
Everyone thought that guys with chainsaws were going to deforest the country, but turns out bueracy will.
I remember those days here in NY I remember them literally burning out the gypsy moth
(caterpillar) nests with long poles and burning ends. They looked like huge Q tips. There were some years where that's all you saw were the nests everywhere.