Ok to add motor oil to bar chain oil?

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate working on saws where people use transmission fluid instead of bar and chain oil, the stuff is a mess and it stinks. I have a coworker who gave me a couple of saws to work on and they used transmission fluid for bar and chain oil. Testing the saw after doing carb work and the transmission fluid was flying everywhere and drooled out the bottom...what a mess.

I bought one of these, since I was selling saws and chains I figured I would give it a try so I could rate it for customers that ask. Basically, I feel it is good for those who don't understand sharpening, don't pay attention to level and angle or those too lazy to learn to hand file (that being said, it may be good for those who have physical limitations that make it difficult to use a round file). I find that practicing with a round file on a junk chain worked best for me to get the hang of it. I use a Husqvarna file handle which is angled on the front, one side for 25 degrees and the other 30 degrees. If you keep the file level and the degree side you choose ends up flat against the bar, you have it nailed.

I agree Trans fluid stinks. I only add very little, maybe 5%, just to use up what I have left from a car I don't own anymore.

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any chain sharpeners you prefer that work better than others? Also, have you tried the STIHL 2 in 1 Easy File?...
I have two sharpeners, one cheap China copy that is branded by many names, it works and does a job so ok for diy (never use it & only got to see what finish it would give). The other is an older Oregon with forward & reverse switch which does a very good job, but you need to put the right size wheel on for the size of chain and clean the chain first to remove oil & resin. Many will say they dont bother but my way of thinking is if your going to do a job, do a good one. The wheel will stay clean for a very long time if your chain is clean before you grind. But my preferred method is by file which is quick and easy and each cutter is treated as an individual, something you cant do with a machine without a lot of potch.
some files are much better than others and in this case you get what you pay for, nothing lasts forever but you do get a much better edge. I havent tried the stihl 2 in 1 and probably wont but only because I have boxes of files to use and hand filing to me is therapeutic. These days i am not making money from a saw so plenty of time on my hands and cut when I want to, not when I have to. Stay safe, hope that helps ;)