Dolmar PS 510 Won't Start

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother gave me his Dolmar PS 510 chainsaw to fix. It won't start, and hasn't been run in a while. It has spark, fuel is getting to cylinder, as the plug is wet. The starter cord is extremely difficult to pull, even harder than my lawnmower. Just about rips the saw out of your hand, when pulled. It seems like the compression stroke freezes up the engine. I don't know if this particular saw has a compression release or not. If it does, it's not working. With the spark plug removed, the engine turns over easily. I removed the muffler, to check the exhaust port, and the muffler was wet with fuel, and I still had difficulty pulling the starter cord. I don't know what's up with this. I don't think this is right. This may or may not be the reason the saw won't start, but the issue has to be addressed.

I am unfamiliar with Dolmar products, and I am at a loss, on the idiosyncrasies, of these engines. I don't want to buy a service manual, for a one time use, for a saw that isn't even mine. Can anyone give me any pointers on where to start?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sounds flooded out. Leave the plug out over night. And it wouldnt hurt to throw a carb kit at.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree that it's probably soaked. The easy start on these saws though can really bite you. Pull the top cover, pull the plug, flip it upside down and pull it over a dozen times. Throw a NEW plug in it and start over. Don't drop start it. Tuck the rear handle between your thighs and pull slowly. After a half dozen slow pulls if it doesn't start open the choke and go back to yanking as you normally do. If it doesn't start after you're red in the face come back.

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is really weird, The original spark plug was replaced with a new one in the beginning, supplied by my brother. I had spark, but I thought it was rather weak. I tested the spark again, this time with a good used plug I had, and found the spark was much greater. I installed this spark plug, and the saw popped on the first pull, and started on the second pull. Apparently the old, new plug failed to spark under compression, or was too weak for ignition.

This saw has an unusual starting sequence. I downloaded a manual, and it says set the saw on the ground, slowly take up the slack on the starter rope until you feel the resistance of the compression, them give the rope a forceful pull. Much easier this way.