Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I eliminated the selenoid by convering to standard carb and checking too see if it done the same, it did. wich told me it was a coil issue because Wiring harness would nt have affected it either. After that checked coil again, this time I removed plug to reduce compression. turned it over with impact. coil with the stihl cat 40 would hit one time. and nothing else. Expaining why it would pop one time.
Can’t just swap carbs on mtronics. Coil, carb, harness and often the flywheel

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t just swap carbs on mtronics. Coil, carb, harness and often the flywheel
Exactly, I recently rebuilt a 201 t c-m that had been dropped from a tree by a climber about 45 feet up and landed on a concrete driveway. It took about $300 in parts, but it runs once again today. Not an easy job to say the least. New top handle, new carb, new coil, etc. and lots of hard work. Rather amazing. but the saw ran once again after I was finished. Owner said he paid about a grand for it new.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
201c is likely no different than a 661c. They will run fine with just a manual carb installed as long as you keep the solenoid attached

laslabjohn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
201c is likely no different than a 661c. They will run fine with just a manual carb installed as long as you keep the solenoid attached
Yes sir, If you think about it. Which is what I was using the manual carb for. trouble shoot. If the saw would have changed at all it would have narrowed it down to carb. but it didnt. And like I said the coil will fire one time after further testing and that was all it would do. I was just basically taking the carb and harness out of the equation as far as the symtoms go.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Solenoid on a manual carb? How does that work?

laslabjohn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just left the wiring where it was, put in a munual carb. so everything is the same but your carb isnt getting signal from selenoid on when and when not to fuel. but the manual carb is just like the rest, impulse line to feed and so on. Your basically cutting out mtron all together, which narrows it down to carb or coil. since everything else has been checked. And like I stated earlier. after doing this, the saw had the same exact problem. pop one time and thats it.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Solenoid on a manual carb? How does that work?
It’s not. It just needs to be hooked into the harness going to the coil to fool the coil into thinking that it’s hooked up properly. I used electrical tape and taped it into a ball up in the corner out of the way and used the regular carburetor

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I eliminated the selenoid by convering to standard carb and checking too see if it done the same, it did. wich told me it was a coil issue because Wiring harness would nt have affected it either. After that checked coil again, this time I removed plug to reduce compression. turned it over with impact. coil with the stihl cat 40 would hit one time. and nothing else. Expaining why it would pop one time.
Did you leave the solenoid plugged in? If not coil will not fire without it... hence why wiring harness or solenoid is the likely fault... coil goes to protect mode if it cannot detect the solenoid, due to faulty solenoid or due to bad wiring harness... never had a coil fail on a 201 mtron, but i cant count how many harnesses and noids i have replaced...

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John was around 7-8 years ago when Tree monkey was figuring all this stuff out.
Good to see he still remembers some of it 👍😁

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s not. It just needs to be hooked into the harness going to the coil to fool the coil into thinking that it’s hooked up properly. I used electrical tape and taped it into a ball up in the corner out of the way and used the regular carburetor
Pretty cool, lol